One of our greatest strengths is our culture, which is friendly and informal and offers you the freedom to mould your own success within a supportive environment.
Our firm is not simply a place of work; it is also the place where professional experience is developed and lasting relationships are formed. In working with us you will:
- have an opportunity to work with some of the top lawyers in their fields of expertise
- be exposed to our blue-chip client-base and the complex nature of work that we do for them
- experience four different areas of law and will be able to decide which suits you best
- have many opportunities to get involved in our pro bono work and make a contribution to society
What we look for
We look for students studying towards any of the following qualifications:
- B.Com Law
- BA Law
Our lawyers are team players. They are committed to excellence and deliver high quality service. Most importantly, they possess a passion for the law. So, we look for well-rounded people with a high level of academic achievement and commercial awareness.
What we offer
We offer a comprehensive two-year programme for you, as a candidate attorney, to serve your articles with us. During this time you will:
- have an opportunity to apply all the knowledge you gained at university, while learning from some the top lawyers in their fields of expertise
- be able to assess which areas of law hold particular interest for you, during each of your four rotations through our various different practice groups
- be able to attend our in-house practical legal training – required by the Law Society to prepare you to write your Attorney’s Admission Examinations
We also offer a personal development programme to equip you with the skills necessary to face the challenges of being a young professional.Apply Here
Our vacation programme provides an opportunity for you to meet us and to get a glimpse of the day-to-day activities of an attorney practising in a leading law firm.
The programme is one week long, running during the June/ July and November/ December holidays.
You will be able to sit in one of our practice areas and see first-hand what it is like to work at our firm. You will also attend a series of formal and social interactions with others on the programme, some of our current candidate attorneys, associates and partners.
If you are interested in serving your articles with us, apply to attend a vacation programme first and see whether you think we would be a fit.Apply Here
Each year we award several full bursaries to enable deserving students to study law.
Students with excellent matric results hoping to study law and exceptional university students currently studying law are eligible for bursaries.
Applicants are considered on the basis of academic merit and proven financial need.
Applications for bursaries to be awarded in the following academic year open in August of each year. Please note that all applications from tertiary students must be completed online by means of the below Apply Here button.
Scholars currently in their matriculation year and intending to study either LLB, BCom Law or a BA Law degree at a South African university, must please forward their CV’s, latest academic report, ID and a motivational letter to the below email address with the subject of their email as “Bursary Application: Your Name”
Closing date for Bursary applications: 31 October 2017Apply Here
Our selection process
The selection process for our vacation and candidate attorney programmes is as follows:
1. Online application
Applications must be submitted online. The graduate recruitment team and selected partners of the firm will screen your application to assess your eligibility.
2. Selection day programme
If your online application is successful, we will invite you to our two-day selection programme. Over these two days, you will have a number of opportunities to prove yourself as an individual and within a group setting.
After the selection day programme, our panel will make the hiring decisions. If you are successful, we will make you an offer.
Meet some of our candidate attorneys
Tebogo SibanyoniCA Sandton Dispute Resolution
“The firm takes the development of young talent seriously and this is reflected in the numerous practical training opportunities that candidate attorneys are exposed to. I appreciate the fact that the views of candidate attorneys are taken seriously and that we play significant roles in the handling of various matters.”
Chloe WoodinCA Cape Town Corporate
“One of the biggest things that has struck me during my time here, is the way that people support each other. My colleagues have truly debunked the idea of all corporate law firms being cut-throat environments where people just use each other to get ahead. ”
Naadhirah YusufCA –Sandton Corporate
“My first year at the firm has been nothing short of interesting, challenging and inspiring. There is this constant positive energy that reverberates around the firm no matter what time of day (or night) it may be.”
Romane PaulCA –Durban Dispute Resolution
“I feel proud to be apart of Bowmans. In order to be the best you have to learn from the best and the opportunity to work with such a diverse group of people has been invaluable. ”
Yeleni BruindersCA –Sandton Dispute Resolution
“Nothing could have prepared me for adjusting to the working world in a new city after arriving fresh out of university. I felt completely out of my depth, but I was lucky enough to work with people who made me feel at home. They accepted my mistakes while exchanging stories of their own slip-ups, teaching me that success is not made overnight.”
Niell StrydomCA Cape Town Dispute Resolution
“The movement from student to professional is tough. Going from legal academics to legal practice is a big jump. My time at the firm has been exciting, tense, rich, enjoyable and hard all at the same time. Law is a hard profession to enter, but what Bowmans does, is it takes you, moulds you, nourishes you and helps you stay afloat when you feel like you’re sinking.”
- University students need to apply on Leaply, please click here.
- Matriculants studying towards law in 2018 are welcome to send the following documents to the graduate mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org
- Motivational letter
- Grade 11 results
- All applications for articles need to take place on Leaply, please click here
- Applications for 2019 / 2020 are open until places are full for that particular year. From January 2018, applications will be open for 2020 / 2021.
- Requirements: to complete the online application on Leaply. Create your personal profile, attach a CV, matric certificate, updated academic transcripts, copy of ID and a marked legal assignment.
Top tip to make your
application stand out
“Love what you do. Yes we hire bright minds, but we also want candidate attorneys who genuinely love law, and possess a passion for learning and applying their minds to any problem thrown their way.”
Bohlale Paile, Graduate Recruitment Manager