- Publications & Insights
Alan Keep is our managing partner.
Alan specialises in corporate law and tax law. He advises on the structuring and implementation of significant black economic empowerment transactions as well as joint ventures, asset disposals and acquisitions in the South African market.
Alan’s regular clients include Standard Bank, SABMiller, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, BP, Barloworld, PPC, Anglogold Ashanti, Marsh and Ericsson. Recent major transactions that Alan has advised on include acting for SABMiller in the formation of its African soft drink joint venture with The Coca Cola Company, and the disposal of its strategic stake in Tsogo Sun Limited, advising Fountainhead Property Fund in its acquisition by Redefine, advising Standard Bank on various issues relating to its Tutuwa black economic empowerment transaction, and advising BP on the conclusion of its empowerment transaction with Kapela Investments. Alan has advised on the structuring and implementation of numerous significant black economic empowerment transactions in the South African market.
Alan is a member of the International Bar Association, where he has held office within the Tax Committee and has presented numerous papers at its annual conference. His expertise is recognised by Chambers Global, Legal 500 and other legal publications, including Best Lawyers, IFLR1000 and PLC.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal and a Higher Diploma in Tax Law from the University of Johannesburg.
- Chambers and Partners 2018 ranked Alan as an Eminent Practitioner in Tax.
- Alan was recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2018 in the category Corporate Tax.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 ranked Alan Keep as an Eminent Practitioner in Tax.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Tax Law.
- Alan is ranked by Chambers and Partners 2016 as an Eminent Practitioner leader in his field.
- Ranked by Legal 500 2015 as a leading lawyer and is also ranked by other legal publications, including Best Lawyers, and Plc.
Managing partner of the firm Alan Keep is well regarded for his work in a diverse range of tax matters. Market commentators agree that he is a “well-thought of” practitioner in this space.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
Alan Keep has experience advising clients on a variety of tax matters. He instructed Standard Bank on its disposal of a majority stake in Standard Bank to ICBC. – Chambers and Partners 2016