- Publications & Insights
Alex Mathini is a partner in our Nairobi office in the Corporate department and heads the Tax practice.
Alex’s practice mainly focuses on mergers and acquisitions, tax law, corporate and commercial law, private equity transactions and the setting up of funds.
He has an LLB from the University of Nairobi and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is a Certified Public Secretary and a Certified Public Accountant.
- Acting for AfricInvest Fund III in their investment in, and acquisition of a minority stake, in Silafrica Plastics and Packaging and the Silafrica Plastics group of companies.
- Acting as legal counsel to KQ on its turnaround strategy and capital optimization programme.
- Advising JP Sa Couto,S.A., one of the world’s largest manufacturers and providers of educational computing devices in its public procurement tender submitted jointly with Moi University, one of Kenya’s largest public universities, to the ICT Authority of Kenya for the Digital Literacy Programme.
- Advised General Plastics Limited on the USD 14.2 million investment by a fund managed by Phatisa Fund Managers Limited.
- Advised M Holdings Limited, owned by various shareholders of Bank M Tanzania, in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Oriental Commercial Bank Limited.
- Advised in the acquisition of a minority interest by Swiss Re In Apollo Investments Limited, the holding company of Apollo Life & APA Insurance which conduct general and life insurance business in Kenya and East Africa.
- Acted for Kansai Plascon Africa Ltd (KPAL), a top global paint manufacturer and a subsidiary of Kansai Paint Co., Ltd (Kansai Paint)) in relation to its proposed acquisition of 100% of Sadolin Paints’ operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar and Burundi (Sadolin Paints).
- Advised Plum LLP on the acquisition of 23.34% of the total issued shares of Britam Holdings Limited from the Government of Mauritius.
- Acted as legal counsel to Resolution Group Limited on the further additional investment by LeapFrog Financial Inclusion Fund II, LP in Resolution Insurance Limited , a wholly owned subsidiary, by way of a convertible loan of KES 1 billion.
- Advised Fidelity Commercial Bank and the shareholders of Fidelity Commercial Bank in its acquisition by SBM Africa Holdings, a member of the SBM Group.
- Advising Jumo Kenya on completion of template on the potential VAT and income tax consequences to Experience Hosts offering Experiences via the Airbnb platform in Kenya.
- Project Oil – Advised on the tax implications of the various consolidation methods and steps for consolidation of the client’s business.
- Advised Airbnb on completion of template on the potential VAT and income tax consequences to Experience Hosts offering Experiences via the Airbnb platform in Kenya.
- Advised on the application for ruling from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) on the market price of shares in Transunion LLC, a USA company, considered to be offered to the Kenyan employees as part of the ESPP.
- Providing support to clients in engaging with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and providing litigation support/ court representation to clients in disputes with the KRA.
- Cross border tax advice – advice on Kenyan taxes applicable to cross border transactions, the Kenyan Double Tax Treaty network and structuring, particularly with regards to holding company jurisdictions.
- Ad hoc tax advice – responding to specific tax queries raised by clients on various tax matters such as completion of tax questionnaires and email queries.
- Chambers and Partners 2018 ranked Alex as Up and Coming for Corporate/Commercial.
- IFLR100’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Alex as a Rising Star for Private Equity and M&A.
- Alex has been recognised by Chambers and Partners, 2017.
Alex Mathini is particularly involved in tax and corporate matters. He is praised for his accessibility and responsiveness and for his “clear and good-quality advice.” He also has experience of advising private equity firms on their investments. – Chambers and Partners 2017