- Publications & Insights
Anisa Govender is a senior associate in our Durban office Dispute Resolution Department and a member of the Shipping Practice.
Her expertise extends across many aspects of shipping law, particularly ship arrests, but also includes expertise in admiralty litigation, emergency marine casualty response, ship finance, regulatory and general admiralty advice as well as ship and cargo sale and purchase.
She is the immediate past secretary of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa and she has been nominated to represent the Maritime Law Association on the board of the Ethekwini Maritime Cluster.
Anisa holds BA, LLB and LLM degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Arrests, drafting of papers for security arrests (both associated and direct), in rem and in personam, successfully acting for plaintiffs in the MV Venetia, the MV Unity and more recently the MV Coronis.
- Advising clients of all arrest requirements.
- Advising clients on setting aside of arrests, opposing applications for same: successful outcome in the MV Venetia in the setting aside of an arrest.
- Advising clients on applications for counter – security and security for costs, most recently in the MV Wisdom.
- Advising clients on Port Regulations and related legislation.
- Judicial ship sales, drafting of application papers and arranging for ship sale auctions and drafting and filing of claims against ship funds with the appointed Referee, objections and replies to claims, most recently in the MV Eleni T”.
- Drafting of letters of undertaking and settlement agreements.
- Attending on board vessels following casualties, interviewing crew and taking statements and collating relevant ships documents and records for preservation, most recently in the MV Prokopis K.
- Advising clients on access to vessel in terms of the Admiralty Act.
- Attending on board of inquiry investigations into fatalities and /or injuries at Transnet Port Terminals including interviewing of witnesses, perusing and analyzing accident reports, drafting a report on the outcome of the board of inquiry investigation and associated recommendations.
Publications & Insights
- Seismic Testing and the effect on our marine environment
- The South African Maritime Safety Authority – protecting our oceans
- The Kingfisher tragedy and the role of marine courts of enquiry
- The Panama Canal – expanding to meet the need of mega ships
- The use of drone technology in the maritime industry
- The Carriage of Dangerous Goods: how to avoid disaster
- A Personal Perspective On Being A Woman In The Maritime Sector
- Woman Seafarers: Turning against the tide
- Shipwreck treasure – who gets the loot?