- Publications & Insights
Anton Barnes-Webb is a partner in our Johannesburg office Banking & Finance Department.
He specialises in project and other financing transactions and mergers and acquisitions. In project finance, Anton advises lenders, borrowers, sponsors and shareholders. He has advised on the financing of large-scale renewable energy projects, projects involving the manufacture and sale of bio-ethanol, and public infrastructure developments involving public private partnerships. Much of his work involves acting for clients in African jurisdictions outside of South Africa including Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from Stellenbosch University and an LLM from Cambridge University, UK.
- Lead counsel to the consortium awarded preferred bidder status in the South African Government, City Of Tshwane (Pretoria) Metropolitan office accommodation PPP. The Project consists of the construction, testing, commissioning, completion, operation and positioning of the buildings and other facilities, together with all supporting infrastructure (including any temporary works) pursuant to the provision by the Project Company of serviced accommodation under a 27 year concession to City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality at the project site, which is located in the Pretoria central business district, South Africa.
- Gautrain Rapid Link Project: Acted as South African counsel to the mandated lead arrangers and lenders for the Public Private Partnership for the design, construction, partial financing, operation and maintenance of a rapid rail system linking the metropolitan cities of Johannesburg and Pretoria and the Johannesburg International Airport. This project was at the time the world’s second largest rail PPP after the London Underground, and the largest green field rail project then under construction globally.
- Advising the lenders on the financing for the development of the Walvis Bay LNG-to-power project in Namibia together with Bowmans.
- Advising the DBSA on their funding of GDF Suez’s BEE Partners in the two Peaker IPP Power Plants in South Africa.
- Advising Eskom on financing for its new coal-fired power station being constructed at Medupi.
- Advising a range of South African Lenders on the following projects forming part of the South African renewable energy programme:
- Round 1 wind farm, Hopefield, Western Cape;
- a Round 1 solar PV project in Eastern Cape;
- a Round 2 wind farm, Gouda, Western Cape; and
- a Round 2 solar PV project, Sishen, Northern Province.
- Advising Standard Bank, First National Bank and Barclays Africa on their funding of Morupule Colliery in Botswana, for the purposes of supplying fuel to the new coal fired power plant constructed by Botswana Power Corporation at Morupule in Botswana, including advising Lenders on the coal supply agreement concluded with BPC.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Anton as a Highly Regarded lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure, Project Finance and M&A.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 ranked the Anton in Band 1 for Projects & Energy.
- The Legal 500 2017 ranked Anton as a recommended lawyer in Projects and Infrastructure.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law and Project Finance and Development Practice.
- IFLR1000 2016 ranked Anton as leading lawyer in South Africa.
Anton Barnes-Webb earns support for his “unparalleled” knowledge in the project finance space. He is considered to be a “solid, old-school lawyer” and described as “fantastic” by interviewees, and advises both private and public clients. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Anton Barnes-Webb is lauded for his project finance capabilities. “He has a knack for distilling negotiations into simple terms and finding a good solution for everybody.” – Chambers and Partners 2016
“Very thorough and experienced” – Chambers and Partners 2015