- Publications & Insights
Ashleigh Hale is co-head of our Corporate Department.
She specialises in mergers and acquisitions, securities law, privatisation and restructuring of state assets and has a broad range of general corporate law experience.
Ashleigh advises multinational companies on M&A transactions in South Africa and across a number of other African jurisdictions. She also advises on black economic empowerment (BEE) transactions, acting for both BEE investors and companies disposing of equity or assets to such investors. In relation to the privatisation and restructuring of state assets she has advised South African and African clients on restructuring, acquisitions, asset disposal and privatisation.
She has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town.
Recent transactions include:
- Advising Imithi Investments Pty Limited and its shareholders in the unwinding and restructuring of their investment in Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited;
- Advising JCDecaux in relation to its partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings and their acquisition of Continental Outdoor Media, a South African based media group with operations in 16 countries in Africa;
- Advising Ansaldo STS Australia in relation to the disposal of its shares in Ansaldo STS-Sinosa South Africa Pty Limited to Gear Rail SA Pty Limited;
- Advising Marriott International in the acquisition of the Protea Hotel group with hotels across Africa;
- Advising GL Events in relation to the sale of shares to a BEE partner in its South African subsidiary, Oasys Innovations Pty Limited;
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank in its acquisition of the custody and trustee business of Absa Bank Limited;
- Advising Marsh in its acquisition of the risk business of Alexander Forbes in South Africa and seven other African jurisdictions.
In relation to the privatisation and restructuring of state assets:
- Part of the team advising Transnet in relation to its proposed restructuring of Spoornet;
- Advising Turbomeca in relation to its acquisition of the Airmotive Division of Denel;
- Advising Transnet and Eskom in relation to the disposal of certain of certain non-core assets;
- Advising the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation in relation to its proposed privatisation.
Publications & Insights
- Obligation to report a B-BBEE transaction to the B-BBEE Commission
- Introducing Blockchain
- Final Marketing, advertising and communications (MAC) sector code published
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2012
- The Mergers & Acquisitions Review – Fifth Edition – South Africa
- Partly paid-up shares: Companies Act, 1973 versus the new Companies Act
- Broad-based black economic empowerment (BEE)