- Publications & Insights
Brian joined the firm in 2016 and is our lead Associate in our Intellectual Property (‘IP) Department. He has also developed a strong practice in Corporate & Commercial law and in Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) law.
He was seconded to the Intellectual Property department at Coulson Harney LLP in Nairobi, a consistently gold standard rated outfit where he honed his skills as an IP professional. His IP practice spans the full range of intellectual property protection with experience in trademark, copyright, industrial design, utility model, technovation and patent protection among others both locally and through international procedures established under the Africa Regional Intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO) and the Madrid Protocol (WIPO).
Brian’s IP enforcement practice is extremely active. He has litigated high profile trademark infringement and passing off cases, trademark opposition proceedings, trademark expungement suits and has advised on the enforcement of copyright and broadcasting rights.
He has proven adept at helping the firm’s clients commercialise their intellectual property assets and routinely advises on the assignments, licensing and franchising arrangements. On the Corporate/Commercial side, Brian routinely advises the firm’s banking and insurance clients on a wide range of issues spanning corporate governance, compliance, employment and tax advice.
Brian is an advocate of the High Court of Uganda and a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East African Law Society.
He holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons) from Makerere University, a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Dip. LP) from the Law Development Center and a Post Graduate Diploma in Tax and Revenue Administration (“PODITRA”) from the East African School of Taxation.
- Advised a number of international clients on trademark registrations and protection including AFRIpads B.V, SolarNow B.V, STIHL AG, Al Dhara Holdings Dubai and Discovery Communications LLC, COWI Holding A/S, Frontier Enterprises Limited and Mjengo Limited.
- Advised a number of local clients on trademark registrations and protection including Rwenzori Bottling Company Limited and MaUgan Enterprises Limited.
- Represented Reed Elsevier (UK) Limited trading as LexisNexis in anti-counterfeiting litigation.
- Represented Mjengo Limited in trademark opposition proceedings.
- Acted for Kansai Plascon Uganda Limited in trademark infringement and trademark cancellation proceedings.
- Acted for AFRIpads Uganda Limited in trademark infringement and passing off actions.
- Advised Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) on the development and implementation of an Intellectual Property Policy Statement.
- Advised the Infectious Diseases Institute on the formulation and implementation of an Intellectual Property Policy.
- Acts for Citibank Uganda Limited on matters to do with corporate due diligence, compliance, and corporate governance.
- Acts as Company Secretary for Marsh Uganda Limited.