- Publications & Insights
Charles Young heads our Mining Sector Group.
He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and general corporate and commercial law. Charles has significant experience in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, governed by both English and South African law, across the African continent, including in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Ghana, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Mali and Kenya. His clients include local and international mining houses, telecommunications, banking and insurance institutions, energy and resources companies and hospitality and gaming concerns.
Charles has B.Com and LLB (Hons) degrees from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand and an LLM from Yale Law School, USA.
He is admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales, an attorney at law in the State of New York and a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand.
- Rio Tinto in relation to its acquisition of Riversdale Mining Limited for USD 4 billion, the subsequent sale of its coal assets in Mozambique to International Coal Ventures Private Limited and the recent sale to the Menar Holding Group of its equity interest in Zululand Anthracite Colliery Proprietary Limited.
- Tata Communications in respect of the proposed ZAR 7 billion disposal of Neotel to the Vodacom Group, and the subsequent proposed sale of Neotel to Liquid Telecommunications and Royal Bafokeng Holdings.
- Peermont Global Group in relation to the proposed acquisition of the group by Sun International, and its previous raising of ZAR 5.3 billion of new debt and the associated recapitalisation and restructuring of the hospitality and gaming group.
- Schneider Electric in relation to its ZAR 850 million sale of Conlog, a leading developer, manufacturer and distributor of pre-paid electricity meters and related applications.
- Puma Energy in its acquisition of various retail focused petroleum businesses, including in South Africa, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
- Old Mutual Plc in the aborted negotiations related to the acquisition by HSBC of control of Nedbank Limited.
- Simon Property Group Inc. (the largest real estate firm in the United States listed on the New York Stock Exchange), in the proposed acquisition of LSE and JSE listed Capital and Counties Properties Plc (formerly Liberty Properties).
- Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation plc in its ZAR 2.2 billion acquisition from Mvelaphanda Resources Limited of 12.2% of the issued share capital of Northam Platinum Limited.
- Swiss Re in its EUR 800 million securities programme with Groupama SA and the associated EUR 200 million “cat” bond relating to French windstorm risks.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Charles as a recommended lawyer in Commercial Corporate and M&A and Mining.
- Charles’ expertise has been recognised by IFLR 1000.