- Publications & Insights
Daniel Areias is a senior associate in the Banking and Finance Department, and specialises in project finance and infrastructure related work.
Daniel has experience in finance law, general commercial law, energy law, PPPs and tax. He also has experience in drafting general corporate agreements, finance agreements and security agreements.
Prior to joining Bowmans in 2010 as a candidate attorney, Daniel worked as a researcher for the South African Human Rights Commission and lectured Commercial Law at the Faculty of Law and Management Studies of the University of KwaZulu Natal.
Daniel obtained his LLB degree from the University of KwaZulu Natal and went on to read for an LLM degree in Business Law.
- Advising the Department of Energy, National Treasury and the Development Bank of Southern Africa in relation to the renewable energy IPP procurement programme and the Baseload Coal IPP procurement programme.
- Advising Matola Gas, the consortium awarded the concession for the transmission of natural gas from Ressano Garcia to Maputo and the distribution and supply of gas in Maputo. This advice related to financing the consortium and various regulatory approvals.
- Advising Matola Gas and Gigawatt SA in relation to the temporary power plants that are being operated by Aggreko in Ressano Garcia in Mozambique, and the proposed permanent power plant to be constructed there.
- Advising the concessionaire in respect of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s accommodation PPP.
- Advising the concessionaire in respect of the refinancing of the Department of Trade and Industry accommodation PPP, including regulatory approvals from the National Treasury of the Government of the Republic of South Africa.