- Publications & Insights
Francisco Khoza is the head of our Banking and Finance Department.
Francisco specialises in banking regulation, financial services, securities, insurance and investment funds law. Francisco’s expertise extends to custodial arrangements, investment products issued under insurance legislation, and the financial markets, banking regulatory, and insurance aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He also has experience in the establishment and registration of financial services providers, of banks with the SARB, and of brokers with the JSE Ltd.
He has a BA from the University of Swaziland, LLB and LLM degrees from Rhodes University and a Certificate in the Law of Banking and Financial Markets from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Francisco has experience in advising on:
- establishing and registration of banks (including branches and Rep Offices of banks) with the South African Reserve Bank.
- establishing and registration of insurers; and regulatory aspects of insurance M&A.
- forming and operating various types of investment funds (such as collective investment schemes, hedge funds, private equity funds etc.).
- establishing and registration of brokers with the JSE Limited.
- regulatory aspects of various financial products (e.g. structured notes, derivatives) listed and unlisted into South Africa.
Francisco regularly advises:
- the Public Investment Corporation SOC Limited
- PIMCO Europe Limited
- Aberdeen Asset Management PLC
- BNP Paribas
- Southeastern Asset Management Inc.
- IG Markets Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Old Mutual
- Francisco is ranked as a recommended investment funds lawyer by Legal 500 in both 2016 and 2017.
Publications & Insights
- New Licensing framework likely for Financial advisors
- Impact of SAM on Private Equity funds
- Intrusive focus on politically exposed persons
- Blockchain revolution and Financial regulation in South Africa
- Registration of Hedge Fund Managers under Collective Investment Schemes Control Act, 2002 required by 30 September 2015: Summary of application requirements and process
- Representatives of financial service providers must be honest and have integrity or face being disbarred industry-wide
- Lawyers Find Solutions To Deal-Making Challenges In Africa
- 2011 Credit Rating Services Bill to regulate credit assessment services
- Licensing and supervision of asset managers, local and foreign
- What is the structure of the retail funds market? What have been the main trends over the last year?
- South Africa: financial sector reforms and investment funds
- Retirement Funds Investment in Private Equity Funds: Some issues to consider
- Asset managers and the new fit and proper requirements