- Publications & Insights
Gillian Niven is a senior associate in our Johannesburg office Public Law and Regulatory Practice.
She specialises in environmental, natural resources and climate change law and works on a wide range of energy, natural resources, environmental and related regulatory matters.
Her experience has ranged from advising lenders and developers in relation to the regulation of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Procurement Programme (REIPPPP) to undertaking environmental legal assessments and due diligence investigations and advising on environmental regulatory compliance requirements and environmental liability.
Gillian has BA, LLB and LLM degrees.
- Providing environmental regulatory advice to lenders and developers in connection with projects under the Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme, including relating to wind and solar PV.
- Undertaking due diligence investigations on various projects, including IPP Projects in respect of which she advises on:
- in the case of projects selected as preferred bidders, general environmental regulatory advice leading up to project Financial Close;
- environmental regulatory compliance requirements, environmental and other consents; and,
- the state of project compliance and the associated risks from a lender or developer’s perspective.
- Undertaking environmental legal assessments and / or due diligences focused on addressing legislative compliance for different operations including various mining, industrial, renewable energy, petroleum and other operations.
- Advising on authorisation processes and related reports (including Environmental Impact Assessments, water, waste and atmospheric emissions licensing) in respect of various operations.
- Advising on environmental liability associated mining, petroleum and industrial operations.
- Assisting with drafting responses to and advice on environmental compliance notices.
- Providing advice on environmental and general regulatory frameworks applicable to petroleum industry.
- Advising on regulatory matters pertaining to compensation systems for occupational injuries and diseases in South Africa.