Ian Kirkman is a partner in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department.
He specialises in the mergers and acquisitions and equity capital markets transactions. His M&A experience relates to both listed and unlisted companies and to cross-border transactions. From an equity capital markets perspective, Ian focuses on listings and offerings.
In addition to his South African work, Ian has experience in Europe where he spent six months in 2013 working at the law firm Be Brauw in Amsterdam. He also has experience in other African jurisdictions (including Kenya).
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Acting for SABMiller plc in respect of the combination of bottling operations of The Coca-Cola Company, SABMiller and Gutsche Family Investments’ (majority shareholders in Coca-Cola SABCO) in Southern and East Africa to create Coca-Cola Beverages Africa.
- Acting for Barloworld in relation to the disposal of its agricultural and materials handling operations in South Africa to a 50/50 joint venture between Barloworld and BayWa.
- Advising Dis-Chem in relation to its listing on the JSE.
- Acting for Capital Appreciation in relation to its listing as a SPAC on the JSE (this was the first listing of a SPAC on the Main Board of the JSE).
- Acting for CFR Pharmaceuticals in relation to its proposed takeover of Adcock Ingram.
- Assisting Virgin Active Group Holdings Plc in relation to its proposed 2015 IPO.
- Advising Castellas Investment Holdings in relation to an underwritten recapitalisation and debt restructuring of AG Industries.
- Acting for Super Group in relation to its proposed recapitalisation which involved a specific issue of shares for cash and an underwritten claw-back rights offer.
- Advising Barloworld in relation to its acquisition of the Bucyrus businesses carried on by Caterpillar and Eqstra in Southern Africa.