- Publications & Insights
Iona Dhladhla is a partner in our Johannesburg office Competition Practice.
She specialises in competition and consumer law and advises clients on various aspects of the Competition Act and the Consumer Protection Act. She handles all aspects of competition law, including merger control, cartel and other prohibited practice investigations and competition compliance. She has advised on multijurisdictional African mergers, including award-winning matters, and was involved in the first market inquiry conducted by the Competition Commission into the banking sector.
She has an LLB degree from the University of Pretoria and a Certificate in Economics For Law from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Iona has advised on a number of high profile competition matters, including:
- advising Shanduka Group Proprietary Limited and the majority shareholder, in relation to the restructuring of Shanduka Group Proprietary Limited;
- advising Vasari Beverages, in relation to its acquisition of KWV;
- advising Pfizer Inc, in relation to its attempted merger with Allergan PLC;
- advising Aberdare Cables Proprietary Limited, in relation to the Competition Commission’s investigation into collusive conduct in the cable sector. The conduct, which is now the subject of proceedings before the Competition Tribunal involves, inter alia, price fixing and collusive tendering; and
- advising Pfizer Plc in relation to its disposal of its infant nutrition business. This matter proceeded to win the 2012 award for Merger Control Matter of the Year Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa.
- Iona also advises a number of State Owned Enterprises. She is currently involved (together with other members of the competition team) in advising Transnet in respect of the Competition Commission’s investigation into alleged excessive pricing and exclusionary practices by Transnet.
- Chambers and Partners 2018 ranked Iona in Band 4 for Competition/ Antritrust.
- Iona is recognised for Competition by Chambers and Partners 2017.
- Iona was involved in the Nestle/Pfizer merger which recently won the 2012 award for Merger Control Matter of the Year Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa.
Iona Dhladhla’s major clients include Pfizer, which she advised in relation to the South African elements of its merger with Allergan. Interviewees describe her as “excellent in terms of her accessibility and practicality.” – Chambers and Partners 2017