- Publications & Insights
John Bellew heads our Private Equity Sector Group.
He specialises in private equity – fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, management arrangements and acquisition finance. His expertise extends to public market mergers and acquisitions and listings and he has led a number of take private transactions.
John has advised prominent South African and international private equity houses on some of the largest private equity transactions undertaken in the South African and broader African markets. He has represented private equity borrowers and high yield lenders and has formed numerous private equity funds with a focus on South and Sub-Saharan Africa. In recent times he has been involved, on behalf of the South African industry body SAVCA, in various lobbying activities, especially in regard to pension fund participation in private equity funds, taxation and exchange control.
Best Lawyers ranked John as Best Lawyer of the Year for Private Equity Law, 2017. His expertise has been recognised by various international research organizations including Chambers Global (Corporate/ M&A) and Legal 500 (Corporate M&A; Investment Funds; Private Equity).
John was a founder member of the AVCA Legal and Regulatory Committee and is a member of the SAVCA Legal and Regulatory Committee.
He has B.Com and LLB (cum laude) degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal and a Diploma in Tax (cum laude) from the University of South Africa.
- All aspects of private equity and venture capital, including fund formation and transactional advice
- Mergers and acquisitions, including local and cross border transactions
- Local and international taxation
- Exchange control
- Capital markets
- Acquisition finance
His expertise has been ranked by:
- Chambers and Partners: Band 1, Corporate M&A, Private Equity, 2017
- Legal 500: Recommended lawyer, Corporate and Commercial and M&A (Private Equity), 2017
- Best Lawyers: Banking Law, 2017
- Best Lawyers: Capital Markets Law, 2017
- Best Lawyers: Corporate Law, 2017
- Best Lawyers: Mergers and Acquisitions, 2017
- Best Lawyers: Private Equity Law and Private Funds, 2017
- Chambers and Partners: Global in Corporate/ M&A, 2015 and 2016
- IFLR1000: Banking, 2011
- IFLR1000: Capital Markets, 2010
- Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa: Corporate/M&A and Investment Funds, 2013 – 2014
- Legal 500: Private Equity, 2012 – 2013
- Who’s Who Legal: M&A, 2010 – 2015 and Capital Markets, 2011
“John Bellew is the ‘undisputed leader’ in private equity” – Legal 500 2017
“John Bellew heads the firm’s private equity team. He regularly acts on fund formation and buyout mandates, including some of the largest transactions to have taken place in South Africa. A key part of his practice involves assisting with the formation of funds focused on Sub-Saharan Africa.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
“John Bellew regularly advises clients on private equity deals, fund formation and M&A transactions. He represented Golden Tree Asset Managers in the disposal of its shares in the holding company of Peermont to Sun International.” – Chambers and Partners 2016