- Publications & Insights
Jonathan Sahli is a partner in our Johannesburg office Dispute Resolution Department.
He specialises in High Court litigation as well as private arbitration. His expertise extends to transactional disputes, contractual claims, mining-related litigation, insolvency, class actions and business rescue issues.
He represents numerous clients including financial institutions, insurers, mining houses, pharmaceutical companies, medical schemes, construction companies, hotel groups, IT companies and parastatals.
Jonathan is a qualified mediator accredited by both the Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement and the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution in the United Kingdom.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Matters in which Jonathan has acted include:
- Represented a multinational IT Company in negotiating the settlement of a contractual dispute with the South African Department of Health worth R52 million.
- Acted for a London-based international bank in relation to a disputed demand for payment of a substantial performance guarantee made by a South African company and the subsequent litigation flowing from the disputed demand.
- Represented the largest creditor in the business rescue proceedings of 1time Airlines (Pty) Limited .
- Advised a large Australian bank on the recovery of a multimillion dollar loan from a South African mining and exploration company and in respect of the enforcement of the security arrangements, including pledges and special and notarial bonds, in place between the parties.
- Successfully represented a listed construction company in a contractual claim against a government roads department. The value of the judgement obtained exceeded R30 million.
- Represented a listed mining company in pursuing claims through the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York.
- Advised a multinational analytics company in relation to a contractual dispute with a South African bank relating to the financial institution’s motor vehicle finance division.
- Successfully defended an American pharmaceutical company in a breach of contract claim where the damages asserted were R37 million.
- Advised a major South African bank on the unwinding of an employee share incentive scheme and in defending a number of claims that were brought by disgruntled former employees in relation to that scheme.
- Forms part of a team defending a South African parastatal in two large class actions brought by former employees.
- Assisted a major South African bank to obtain court orders to freeze bank accounts in South Africa and Lesotho containing funds stolen by former employees of the bank.
- Assisted a company listed on the London Stock Exchange to recover the balance of the purchase price due to it in terms of a sale of shares agreement following the disposal of its holding in a South African company.
- Acted for a large, multinational company in the business rescue proceedings of Edison Jehamo Power (Pty) Limited.
- Advised various clients on numerous issues arising under the National Credit Act 34 of 2005.
- Represented clients in the National Consumer Tribunal in matters brought under the National Credit Act, including a request for a statement under section 114 of the National Credit Act.