- Publications & Insights
Jonathan is a partner in the firm’s Litigation practice and a member of the Dispute Resolution department. Jonathan specialises in domestic and cross-border litigation, with particular expertise in arbitration and High Court litigation.
Jonathan has advised clients extensively in transactional disputes, shareholder and company law disputes, contractual claims and insolvency and business rescue issues.
Jonathan has successfully represented numerous clients, including banks, financial institutions, insurers, mining houses, pharmaceutical companies, medical schemes, construction companies, hotel groups, I.T companies and TMT companies.
Jonathan is a qualified mediator accredited by both the Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement and the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution in the United Kingdom.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Domestic matters in which Jonathan has acted recently include:
- Represented a multinational IT Company in negotiating the settlement of a contractual dispute with the South African Department of Health worth R52 million.
- Acted for a listed TMT company in contractual damages litigation spanning nine years.
- Assisted a multinational vehicle manufacturer to defend a claim for specific performance which ended in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- Successfully represented a listed construction company in a contractual claim against a government roads department. The value of the judgement obtained exceeded R30 million.
- Advised a multinational analytics company in relation to a contractual dispute with a South African bank relating to the financial institution’s motor vehicle finance division.
- Successfully defended an American pharmaceutical company in a breach of contract claim where the damages asserted were R37 million.
- Advised a major South African bank on the unwinding of an employee share incentive scheme and in defending a number of claims that were brought by disgruntled former employees in relation to that scheme.
- Assisted a company listed on the London Stock Exchange to recover the balance of the purchase price due to it in terms of a sale of shares agreement following the disposal of its holding in a South African company.
- Acted for a university in successfully defending a significant claim for payment from a local government entity.
- Advised a multinational soft drink distributor in relation to a significant contractual damages claim.
- Acted for a large, multinational company in the business rescue proceedings of Edison Jehamo Power (Pty) Limited.
- Represented the largest creditor in the business rescue proceedings of 1time Airlines (Pty) Limited.
International or cross-border matters in which Jonathan has acted recently included:
- Acted for a London-based international bank in relation to a disputed demand for payment of a substantial performance guarantee made by a South African company and the subsequent litigation flowing from the disputed demand.
- Advised a large Australian bank on the recovery of a multimillion dollar loan from a South African mining and exploration company and in respect of the enforcement of the security arrangements, including pledges and special and notarial bonds, in place between the parties.
- Defended a South African mining company in a disputed claim for payment arising from a service contract concluded in Mozambique.
- Represented a listed mining company in pursuing claims through the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York.
- Assisted a major South African bank to obtain court orders to freeze bank accounts in South Africa and Lesotho containing funds stolen by former employees of the bank.
- Advised a large international bank on obtaining evidence from a South African company for use in legal proceedings instituted in Nevada, United States in terms of the Foreign Courts Evidence Act.
- Acted for a major bank in defending proceedings relating to the demand on a bank guarantee in Arusha, Tanzania.
- Defended a multinational vehicle manufacturer in a damages claim brought in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.