- Publications & Insights
Jon Schlosberg is a partner in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department. He was previously Chairman of the firm and has also headed our Corporate Department.
He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, corporate governance, capital markets and securities law. Jon led the firm’s team in advising a local bank on what was then the largest direct foreign investment into South Africa and the largest foreign investment outside of China by a Chinese corporate.
Jon is a member of the Board of Patrons of AIESEC South Africa and the Board of Governors of Johannesburg Metropolitan Junior and Mini City Council.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees as well as a Higher Diploma in Income Tax from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Jon led the firm’s team in advising Standard Bank on the acquisition by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) of a 20% interest in the bank in what was then the largest direct foreign investment in South Africa and, according to Bloomberg, the largest foreign investment outside of China by a Chinese corporate.
- Some of the other representative transactions in which Jon has acted as adviser include:
- advising on the merger of Standard Bank’s asset management business with that of Liberty to form Stanlib;
- the disposal by Merril Lynch of its private client investment business;
- Armgold’s merger with Harmony Gold (a BEE deal);
- Nampak’s merger with Malbak; the acquisition by IBM of PwC’s consulting business;
- advising a consortium of banks on the financing of Incwala’s acquisition of 16% of Lonplats (a BEE deal);
- advising on the financing of Ponahalo’s acquisition of an interest in De Beers (a BEE deal);
- advising on the financing of Tshwarisano’s acquisition of an interest in Sasol (a BEE deal);
- advising Murray and Roberts on its BEE transaction; advising Associated British Foods’ on its acquisition of Illovo Sugar; and advising Tongaat-Hulett and Hulamin on the financing of their respective BEE transactions.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Jonathan in Band 4 for Corporate/ M&A.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Jon as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for M&A.
- Chambers and Partners 2016 and 2017 ranked Jonathan in Band 3 for Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Jonathan Schlosberg is a leading lawyer in the IFLR1000
- The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers 2013 Award: Jonathan Schlosberg was noted as one of the ten “most highly regarded individuals” globally. “He is considered a ‘real heavyweight’ in the South African legal market and boasts a ‘very sound legal knowledge’.”
- In February 2014 Jonathan stepped down as chairman and he now practices as a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department.
- Best Lawyers in South Africa 2017: Banking Law
Jonathan Schlosberg is a seasoned practitioner who commands a high level of respect amongst peers in the market. One source observed: “He’s a real gentleman – very commercial, a very good lawyer and he looks after his clients well.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
“Jonathan Schlosberg regularly advises clients on corporate governance matters, and is also experienced acting on M&A transactions. One market commentator reports: “His all-round ability as a lawyer is very impressive. He has a good manner that is conducive to doing a transaction easily without an ego.”” – Chambers and Partners 2016
“Jonathan Schlosberg practices in the corporate/M&A department following a spell as chairman of the firm. He lends his expertise to a variety of transactions, including Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) deals.” – Chambers and Partners 2015