- Publications & Insights
Joyce Mbui is a partner at Coulson Harney LLP and a member of the Corporate Commercial department.
She specialises in financing, capital markets, restructuring and corporate and commercial law.
Joyce is qualified as an English solicitor of England & Wales as well as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya. She has an LLB Hons from the University of Leicester, UK, an LPC (cum laude) from Nottingham Trent University, UK, and an MSc (cum laude) from the University of Reading, UK.
She is a member of the Law Society of Kenya and the Law Society of England and Wales.
- The Government of Kenya as local counsel in relation to its 2018 USD 2BN sovereign bond.
- Kenya Airways PLC on its capital and debt restructuring in 2017, which included secured and unsecured creditors, the Kenyan Government, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, 11 commercial banks, aircraft finance syndicates (Tsavo syndicate: EXIM Bank of the USA for the wide-bodied fleet) (Samburu lenders for the narrow body fleet), restructuring of operating lessors arrangements, negotiated with the National Treasury, the capital market regulators and aviation regulators.
- Kenya Airways PLC as borrower on its USD 175 million multipurpose credit facility with a syndicate of nine Kenyan banks through an LMA standard Kenyan law facility agreement, backed by a guarantee from the Government of Kenya.
- AkzoNobel Coatings NV on its USD 19 million working capital funding for a joint venture partner in Kenya and Uganda under an English law LMA-type facility agreement and local security package.
- Citibank, N.A., (London Branch), Rand Merchant Bank, a division of FirstRand Bank Limited (London branch), Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Chartered Bank (acting as lead arrangers) and Citibank Europe PLC, UK branch (acting as agent) in respect of a medium term loan facility for up to USD 800 million (subject to the exercise of a greenshoe option) to the Government of the Republic of Kenya acting through the national treasury as borrower.