- Publications & Insights
Livia Dyer co-heads our Technology, Media and Telecommunications sector group.
Livia advises clients in various regulated sectors and markets including telecommunications and broadcasting, education, medicines and pharmaceuticals, and consumer goods. Livia advises a number of government clients on the development of regulatory instruments and policy. She also acts for clients in judicial review and other proceedings in the context of regulatory matters. Livia advises extensively on broad-based black economic empowerment which is a key issue for businesses operating in regulated sectors in South Africa.
She has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town and an LLM from the University College London, UK.
Livia’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for Tata Communications in the sale of their interest in Neotel, the second national fxied-line operator to Liquid Telecommunications and previously in the proposed sale of Tata’s interests in Neotel to Vodacom.
- Advising Airports Company South Africa on economic regulatory issues in the context of ACSA’s permission applications in relation to its regulated tariffs. advising Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) on the economic regulation of its tariffs, preparing proposals for revisions to the statutory framework in terms of which ACSA operates and assisting with submissions to the regulatory authority which sets ACSA’s tariffs
- Acted for Wireless Business Solutions in relation to the establishment of a new 4G network including infrastructure leasing and roaming arrangements.
- Acting for Oger Telecom in the disposal of part of their interest in Cell C, the third mobile network operator in South Africa.
- Advising the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa on the ICT Policy Review conducted by the Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services.
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 ranked Livia in Band 3 for both IT & Telecommunications and in Band 2 for Media & Broadcasting.
- Livia was recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2018 in the category Data: Telecoms & Media.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Media Law.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 and 2016 ranked Livia in Band 3 for Media & Broadcasting and IT/ Telecommunications.
- Chambers and Partners 2015 ranked Livia in Band 3 for Media and as an “up and coming” IT/ Telecommunications lawyer.
Interviewees describe Livia Dyer as a “highly articulate individual with outstanding drafting ability.” One client added: “She is a pleasure to deal with: practical, focused and always concerned with getting the deal done.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
Clients praise Livia Dyer as a “very practical and very sensible” lawyer. She has strength in regulatory mandates and also handles a variety of disputes, including judicial reviews. – Chambers and Partners 2016
Publications & Insights
- Lexology: A structured guide to Fintech in South Africa
- Obligation to report a B-BBEE transaction to the B-BBEE Commission
- Final Marketing, advertising and communications (MAC) sector code published
- New draft BEE Codes of Good Practice
- The regulation of independent tower companies yet to be addressed
- Much more to a name than meets the Consumer Protection Act’s eye