- Publications & Insights
Lloyd Chater is a partner in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department.
Lloyd specialises in projects, construction, mergers & acquisitions and general commercial matters, with a keen focus on the industrials, construction, engineering and mining sectors.
Lloyd advises various multinational and local companies on a diverse range of commercial matters, with a particular emphasis and understanding of the construction and engineering and mining sectors, including supply and service agreements, construction projects, tendering, consortia and joint ventures, infrastructure and mining projects, and industrial and commercial property transactions.
Lloyd has experience in the drafting and use of both standard form and bespoke construction and professional consulting contracts (including FIDIC, JBCC and the NEC), EPC, EPCM contracts, incentive structures and alliance agreements, and has advised on a number of mining construction projects.
Relevant clients for whom Lloyd has provided the above services include the AECOM group, Glencore Xstrata, Eskom, Sasol Limited, Debswana Diamond Company, the Murray & Roberts group, Air Liquide, Huhtamaki, SES-Astra S.A, South African Breweries, Harley-Davidson, Iveco S.A., Discovery Health Medical Scheme, Philips and African Rainbow Minerals Limited.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Representing Sasol Group Limited on all integrated servicing aspects of their new global head office infrastructure project;
- Advising Xstrata Coal on the establishment of their Tweefontein mining operations, including the drafting of all EPC, mining and contractor agreements, construction agreements, supply agreements and general service agreements that will be used in their operations;
- Acting as lead counsel and relationship partner to the AECOM international group of companies, including conducting the post-merger integrations of legacy companies Davis Langdon and BKS into the AECOM group in South Africa, which included the rationalising of its contractual structures, black economic empowerment structures, shareholdings, and operational platforms;
- Advising Glencore Operations on the construction of a Water Treatment Facility, including the drafting of all agreements required in order to establish, manage and operate the plant;
- Advising Eskom in relation to front end procurement, contract strategy and negotiation and contract management in relation to the Medupi and the Kusile power station construction projects;
- Ongoing advice to, and drafting for, Debswana Diamond Mining Company in Botswana on various aspects of its business and operations, including its construction projects, procurement agreements and services contracts;
- Drafting offtake agreements in relation to coal and platinum activities for, inter alia, Anglo Platinum, and Northam Platinum Limited;
- Acting as lead counsel and relationship partner to On Digital Media, including drafting contracts regulating their financing structures, shareholding structures, material services agreements and outsourcing arrangements;
- Advising on all aspects of the 4 year business rescue of Top TV, including restructuring the company, concluding all shareholder arrangements and operational agreements; co-ordinating the relations amongst the financiers and strategic shareholders;
- Representing the selling shareholders on the failed acquisition by Vodacom of the shares of Neotel (South Africa’s second fixed line telecommunications operator);
- Representing the same selling shareholders on the acquisition of their shares in Neotel by Liquid Telecom (which acquisition presently remains subject to regulatory approvals), implementing the scheme of arrangement to acquire the shares of the broad based empowered shareholders; and
- Constructed and advised on the Administration Agreements governing the relationship between the Discovery Health Medical Scheme and Discovery Health (as the administrator of the Scheme), one of the largest medical schemes in South Africa.