- Publications & Insights
Luke Havemann is a Senior Associate in the Oil & Gas Team in Cape Town, South Africa. His interest lies in the provision of technically excellent and solution-focused advice for upstream operations in Sub-Saharan jurisdictions.
He has significant experience in advising on the legislative and regulatory frameworks that govern the upstream and midstream activities of the oil and gas industry in various jurisdictions, including, amongst others, Uganda, Mozambique and South Africa. Luke has also advised on a wide variety of industry-specific contractual arrangements, including production sharing contracts and joint operating agreements.
Luke has written extensively on legal developments affecting the African oil and gas industry and has presented various papers at numerous oil and gas conferences.
Luke has BA, LLB and LLM degrees from the University of Cape Town, and a PhD from the University of Aberdeen.
- Provision of advice in relation to the acquisition of shareholding in a London-based E&P company, including the analysis of on various transactional documents relating to the acquisition of acreage in Gabon, Namibia, Senegal and South Africa.
- Counsel to US and UK-based members of the oil and gas industry on the regulation of unconventional hydrocarbons, including the preparation memoranda of advice on international best practice vis-à-vis hydraulic fracturing and the drafting of formal submissions to South Africa’s Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) and the Petroleum Agency of South Africa (PASA).
- Provision of advice to a national oil company (NOC) in relation to a farm-down arrangement where the NOC sought the acquisition of a participating interest in various blocks in a specific east African jurisdiction. Advice included analyses of the applicable PSAs and JOAs.
- Responsible for drafting all the legal aspects of the national midstream strategy for the transportation and storage of petroleum in Uganda. Development of the said strategy included advising the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) and the Petroleum Exploration and Production Department (PEPD) on a wide variety midstream-related legal issues.
- Advised various clients on the legal ramifications of the advent of a shale gas industry in South Africa. Representation of clients involved the drafting of formal submissions to the Presidency, the DMR and PASA in relation to, amongst other things, the suitability of the existing regulatory framework in relation to the use of hydraulic fracturing. The said submissions included critical and comparative analysis of international best practice vis-à-vis the regulation of unconventional hydrocarbons.
- Member of the team that won Oil and Gas Law Firm of the Year award at the 2014 Africa Oil and Gas Awards.
Publications & Insights
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Oil & Gas Regulation 2018
- The International Legal Comparative Guide to Oil & Gas Regulation 2017: South Africa
- Positive Legislative Developments afoot for South Africa’s Oil and Gas Industry
- Global Legal Insights – Energy 5th Edition 2017 South Africa Chapter