- Publications & Insights
Melissa Strydom is a senior associate in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department.
She specialises in environmental regulatory matters including energy and health and safety law, water use licensing and waste management, contractual implications of rehabilitation obligations of mines, environmental aspects of renewable energy projects, Environmental Impact Assessment processes and reports, and in various regulatory requirements. She also undertakes legal assessments and due diligences, compiles environmental legal registers and drafts internal appeals against environmental or mining regulatory decisions and review applications.
Melissa has an LLB from the University of Johannesburg as well as an LLM and Certificates in Mining and Prospecting Law and Advanced Company Law from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Melissa has been recognised by Chambers and Partners 2017 as an “associate to watch” for Environment.
‘Senior associate Melissa Strydom is singled out as a “great talent” who is “very promising, and certainly someone to watch.” She plays a major role on many of the team’s highlight matters.’ – Chambers and Partners 2017
Publications & Insights
- Environmental enforcement trends in South Africa: insights from our experience
- Recent trends in the enforcement of environmental law in South Africa: data from the National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports
- Environmental Law Seminar, May 2017: Environmental Enforcement and Risks – Targets, Trends and Tips
- Marine Spatial Planning Bill, 2017
- Developments in South African Waste Law – The 2013 NEMA Amendment Act And Rectification Applications
- National Water Act: challenging appeal decisions
- Environmental authorizations required for mining?