- Publications & Insights
Nicolas is a mining, and oil and gas lawyer with an exclusive focus on Africa. He is Bowmans Deputy Head of Oil and Gas, and is based in London.
His experience mainly includes acting for oil & gas and mining companies in securing the award of exploration and production rights, structuring, negotiating and implementing acquisitions and disposals of exploration and production assets throughout Africa, and developing exploration and production projects.
Nicolas has also been involved in reviewing existing legislation, regulations and model production sharing contracts governing hydrocarbons exploration and exploitation activities in Africa on behalf of the African Petroleum Producers Association and several member states.
He lived and worked in Gabon and in Equatorial Guinea, and travelled extensively in Africa over the past twenty years.
Nicolas is dual qualified (France and England & Wales) and has a Magistère in business and tax law and DJCE-DESS in business and tax law degrees from Lyon III University, France and a tax certificate from Montpellier University, France.
- Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation in relation to the drafting and negotiation of an exploration and production sharing agreement and a prospecting agreement in Gabon on behalf of INPEX Corporation and Itochu Corporation.
- African Petroleum Producers Association in relation to the review and the comparative study of the oil and gas legislation, regulations and model contracts in force in the APPA member countries (comprising the 18 producing countries in Africa), the determination of the main principles, best practices and latest trends applicable to the international hydrocarbons industry, in particular in Africa, and the incorporation of the same in a model production sharing contract.
- Regalis Petroleum in relation to the structuring, negotiation, and implementation of an acquisition of a shareholding interest in a company holding a participating interest in a production sharing agreement in Chad, including a synthetic joint operating agreement.
- Signet Petroleum in relation to the tender for the acquisition of a 45% participating interest in OML 25 from Shell, Total and ENI in Nigeria.
- The lenders in relation to the financing of hydrocarbons exploration, development and production operations in Africa and in the Middle-East on behalf of a junior international oil & gas company, including a due diligence review of all existing assets in the Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Nigeria, Kurdistan, Kenya, Ethiopia and Morocco.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Nicolas as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure, Project Development and M&A.