- Publications & Insights
Norma Wheeler is a senior associate in our Durban Shipping and Logistics practice. Norma has practised maritime, logistics and commercial law since March 2011.
Norma’s practice comprises a wide range of admiralty litigation matters, including ship arrests and sales.
She has played a key role in managing casualties, with experience in all aspects of emergency response, including taking crew statements, collation of evidence and co-ordination of access.
She is experienced in giving legal advice pertaining to diverse aspects of the transport chain, such as warehousing taxes, road transport, container lease agreements and disputes with port agents. Her commercial experience extends to drafting a variety of commercial contracts and standard terms and conditions, particularly for those in the logistics industry.
Norma is the coordinator of the firm’s Ports Transport and Logistics Sector Group. This aspect of her practice entails giving regulatory advice pertaining to project development and drafting documents such as ISPS codes, terminal regulations and documents for finance and equity structuring of terminals. She has ports experience in South Africa, Ghana, Uganda, Mozambique and Tanzania.
Norma is the Secretary of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa and currently studying towards a Masters in Maritime Law at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Norma has BA and LLB degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Transaction advisor on marine transport project (confidential) in the Great Lakes region (2015 – ongoing).
- Represented owners and owners’ P&I and/or H&M underwriters in respect of vessel casualties, such as “Thor Breeze”, “Tai Shan”, “Chemstar Jewel” and “Harvest Rising”.
- Drafting regulations for Atuabo Freeport Ghana.
- Represented the Kumba Group in an arbitration over their demurrage claim for 84 ships caused by Alina II occupying a berth in Saldanha.
- Legal audit for a major port agent and logistics service provider in Mozambique covering compliance with contractual requirements, insurance cover for core business operations and governance.
Publications & Insights
- Getting the Deal Through: Ports & Terminals 2018
- How do you obtain and enforce an award against a foreign debtor with no assets in South Africa?
- The perfect crime: Outlaws on the high seas
- Getting the Deal Through: Ports & Terminals 2017 South Africa
- A Brighter Future for South Africa Powered by Liquefied Natural Gas?
- The Murky Effects of Brexit on Shipping
- A case for alternative trade financing for importers
- Government buzz words and what they mean for South Africa’s ocean economy
- Taxing questions for South African shipowners could dash hopes for a South African merchant fleet
- Getting The Deal Through: Ports & Terminals 2016 South Africa