- Publications & Insights
Paras Shah is a partner in our Nairobi office and head the M&A and projects team in Kenya.
Paras is one of the leading corporate & commercial lawyers in Kenya and specialises in corporate and commercial law, banking and finance law, privatisations, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and real estate law. He has advised on some of the most important M&A and financing transactions, IPOs and takeovers, listings and public-private partnership (PPP) transactions undertaken in Kenya in recent years.
His expertise is recognised by Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR1000 and he was named Banking & Finance Lawyer of the Year in Kenya for 2015.
He has a Diploma in Legal Practice (cum laude) from the College of Law, UK, a Diploma in Management from Henley School of Management, UK, and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is an English-qualified solicitor and an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Paras recently advised the largest equity deal in Kenya and East Africa in 2016 to date, involving the equity investment of USD 140 million into ARM Cement Limited (ARM) by the CDC Group (CDC), as well as on the USD 500m syndicated credit facilities to Kenya Power & Lighting Company Limited..
- Several high profile capital markets work, including IPOs and Take Over Regulations. Notable deals he has led on include the IPOs of Kengen, AccessKenya, Eveready Batteries & Kenya Reinsurance, the privatisation of Telkom Kenya Ltd and Kenya/Uganda Railways, and the take-overs of AccessKenya Group, REA Trading, Unilever Tea and CMC Motors.
- The historic demutualization of the Nairobi Securities Exchange Limited(NSE).
- Several right sissues including the USD 250m Kenya Airways Limited Rights Issue.
- He has also advised on some of the only PPP transactions in Kenya, such as the Kenyatta University Student Accommodation PPP and the development of Konza Technopolis by the Government of Kenya.
- In real estate, he has advised on some of the largest real estate transactions in Kenya, including the sale of office towers to PWC and the World Bank, and on the purchase of a large industrial estate in Tatu City.
- IFLR1000’ 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Paras as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Capital markets, Energy and infrastructure, Project development, Banking and M&A.
- Chambers Global 2016 and 2017 ranked Paras in Band 1 for both corporate & commercial and, banking & finance. He is ranked in Band 3 for real estate & conveyancing.
- Legal 500 2016 and 2017 ranked Paras as leading lawyer for Banking & Finance a recommended lawyer for Projects and Energy in Kenya.
- IFLR1000 2016 has ranked Paras as a leading lawyer is a number of areas in Kenya.
- Best Lawyers 2015 recognised Paras best lawyer within banking, capital markets, corporate, finance, mergers & acquisitions and real estate & conveyancing as areas of specialisation.
- ILO has previously awarded Paras with the Client Choice Award for corporate counsel in Kenya.
Paras Shah is a widely respected corporate lawyer with strengths in private equity and complex shareholder agreements. He is especially well known for his projects work, having advised clients on a number of large-scale developments. Real estate is a further string to his bow. Sources agree that he has “a deep understanding of the private equity model” and that he “gives clear advice, and is responsive and focused on what the client is hoping to achieve.”
Paras Shah is widely respected in the Kenyan legal community and is active on complex finance structuring and bond issuance, as well as a range of other banking and finance mandates. He is commended by clients for his “great workable solutions” and ability to “think outside the box to make sure you get the transaction finalised.” One market commentator said: “He’s one of the best lawyers I’ve worked with.”
Paras Shah is a widely respected corporate lawyer with strengths in private equity and complex shareholder agreements. He is especially well known for his projects work, having advised clients on a number of large-scale developments. Real estate is a further string to his bow. Sources agree that he has “a deep understanding of the private equity model” and that he “gives clear advice, and is responsive and focused on what the client is hoping to achieve.” – Chambers and Partners 2017
Paras Shah shows ‘deep knowledge’ of structured finance – Legal 500 2017
“Paras Shah, in particular, is ‘incredibly responsive’, ‘very pragmatic’, ‘solution-oriented’ and ‘technically excellent’.” – Legal 500 2016
Paras Shah is highly regarded for his experience in the banking sector and consistently attracts praise from his contemporaries as “a first-class lawyer.” Clients value his exceptional responsiveness, with one commenting: “He gives a refreshing, dynamic picture even about issues I perhaps have not considered. He provides clarity about where you’re going and what you need to achieve – a crisp, commercial lawyer. – Chambers and Partners 2016
Publications & Insights
- Next-generation Africa-GCC Business Ties in a Digital Economy
- Legal Week: Global M&A Guide 2017
- Africa Business Communities: Brexit Article
- Arabian Business: Why Gulf Investors Keen on Kenya
- Kenya in prime position to attract more investors
- Obama Boost for Africa
- Healthy pipeline should see deals pick up in Africa