- Publications & Insights
Rainbow Field is the director of international legal services in our Nairobi office, Coulson Harney LLP.
She specialises in mergers and acquisitions, mining, energy and resources, employment, joint ventures and business formation and advising not-for-profit companies.
Rainbow’s expertise has been recognised by IFLR1000 and Chambers Global (Corporate & Commercial; Spotlight Table: Foreign Expert for Corporate Commercial and M&A).
She has B.Com and LLB degrees from Murdoch University, Western Australia, where she is an admitted barrister and solicitor.
- Advised TBL Dairy Ventures B.V. in the acquisition of 100% shareholding of Bio Food products Limited.
- Advised Abraaj Health Fund in relation to its investment of Ethiopian Birr 250,000,000 (approx. USD 11,000,000) in the business of Arsho Medical Laboratories PLC (Arsho), a private limited company registered under the laws of Ethiopia. Arsho provides laboratory testing services and wishes to expand and diversify its operations through the investment. The parties intend to merge the two entities, after which Abraaj shall hold a 77% stake in the business.
Oil and Gas Experience
- Advised on the acquisition by Maersk Oil of half of Africa Oil Corporations’ interests in its three blocks in Northern Kenya. This transaction was part of a larger transaction where Maersk Oil was acquiring Africa Oil Corporations’ interests in both Kenya and Ethiopia.
- Advising IDEA Power Limited on Investment Solar Limited as well as negotiations for a power purchase agreement for a 30 MW solar project between Makindu Solar Limited and the Kenya Power Lighting Company Limited.
- Advising on all Kenyan aspects of the USD 170 million dollar project financing of the Kwale Mineral Sands Project. General legal advice to Base Titanium Limited as the registered holder of a Special Mining Lease in relation to the Project. Advising on applicable regulations including the Mining Act, dealings with the Mines Department and all relevant legislation. Providing advice on various acquisitions ancillary to the Project.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Rainbow as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Energy and infrastructure, Project development, Project Finance and M&A.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 has recognised Rainbow as a ‘Notable Practitioner’.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Rainbow as a recommended lawyer for Projects & Energy, and Commercial Corporate and M&A (Oil and Gas), Kenya.
- Rainbow is recognised in IFLR 1000.
‘Notable Practitioner: Rainbow Field has a strong employment practice and a focus on employee rights matters, particularly with regard to termination and redundancy procedures. She is also notable for her expertise in ESOPs and advises major companies on restructurings.’ – Chambers and Partners 2017