- Publications & Insights
Richard Harney is a member of the partnership board of the pan-African law firm Bowmans and the managing partner of the Kenya office, Coulson Harney LLP.
Richard co-founded the office in 2008.
Richard is consistently involved in the most prominent transactions in the region. Having spent the past 22 years in Kenya, Richard has a wide array of experience advising domestic, regional and international clients on M&A deals, capital markets, finance, restructuring and corporate law. Prior to moving to Kenya, in the early 1990s, Richard worked as a solicitor at two leading law firms in the City of London.
He is rated as a Leading Individual in Legal 500, a Leading Lawyer in IFLR1000 and a Tier 1 Lawyer in Chambers Global where clients acknowledge “he has a good feel for what is and isn’t practical in Kenya, and for how it will work in the local environment.’”
- Kenya Airways on its turnaround strategy and capital optimization programme.
- Imperial Bank Limited (in receivership) shareholders and directors on issues arising from the statutory receivership of the bank.
- Orange S.A. on the disposal of all of its shares and shareholders loans, comprising 70% of Telkom Kenya, to Jamhuri Holdings Limited, owned Helios Investment Partners.
- Old Mutual Property Africa Investment Company Pty Limited on its USD 55 million investment to acquire 50% of the shares in Two Rivers Mall and Office Tower in Nairobi, the largest mall in East and Central Africa.
- Certain long term lenders in regard to the receivership of Pan-African Paper Mills (EA) Limited.
- Eaton Towers in respect of its acquisition of the Kenya tower infrastructure of Bharti Airtel covering African countries.
- East Africa’s leading dairy produce business Brookside Dairy Limited on the investment of a 40% shareholding by Compagnie Gervais Danone.
- East African Breweries Limited on its KES 11 billion corporate bond listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Lafarge and Holcim on Kenyan regulatory approvals required in Kenya for their global merger.
- LafargeHolcim on shareholders matters concerning the East African Portland Cement Company Limited.
- The acquisition of control of UAP Holdings (a publicly traded financial services group) by Old Mutual Holdings.
- E.A. Trading Limited on its offer to acquire all the ordinary shares not already owned by it in R.E.A. Vipingo Plantations Limited, a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange – the first contested takeover on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- France Telecom on its USD 390m acquisition of 51% of Telkom Kenya from the Government during the privatisation of Telkom Kenya Limited.
- Equity Bank in the US$185 million equity investment by Helios Investors.
- Project sponsor on the establishment of a 50Mw wind farm close to Nairobi including negotiations with the Kenya Power & Lighting on a power purchase agreement.
- Dimension Data Holdings plc on its take-over of 100% of the issued share capital of AccessKenya Group Limited, an internet service provider listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Saham Finances in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Mercantile Insurance Company Limited through its subsidiary Colina Holdings.
• Chambers Global 2016: Tier 1, Corporate Commercial, Legal 500, 2016: Recommended lawyer, commercial, corporate, mergers and acquisitions.
• IFLR 1000 2016: Leading lawyer, Competition, Restructuring & Insolvency, Energy & Infrastructure, Banking, M & A.
• The World Bank Award for Excellence – privatization of Kenya Airways.