- Publications & Insights
Rob Legh is our Chairman and Senior Partner. He joined the firm in 1986 and became a partner in 1992.
He founded our Competition Practice in 1998 and headed it before his appointment as chairman. He has extensive experience in antitrust and regulatory law as well as in mergers & acquisitions and mining law. In recent years he has worked on a number of high-profile cases relating to hostile mergers, abuse of dominance and cartels and was a contributor to the first South African text book on competition law.
His expertise has been recognised by numerous international legal directories including Best Lawyers, Chambers Global, Global Competition Review, IFLR1000, the Legal 500, PLC and Who’s Who Legal.
He has B.Com, LLB and MBA degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
He divides his time equally between chairing the firm and advising clients on complex antitrust matters.
- Counsel to SABMiller on SA competition law issues in the acquisition by ABInbev of SABMiller plc
- Counsel to SABMiller on SA competition law issues relating to the creation of Coca Cola Beverages Africa, the largest Coca Cola bottler in Africa
- Counsel to the South African Breweries Ltd in the unsuccessful prosecution by the Competition Commission of SAB in respect of alleged restrictive practices and abuse of dominance in relation to SAB’s use of appointed distributors
- Counsel to Cape Gate, SA’s largest private steel producer, in alleged infringements of the Competition Act in relation to steel, wire and scrap metal products
- Ongoing competition law advice to PPC, South Africa’s largest cement producer.
Robert Legh is ranked as a leading South African competition lawyer by inter alia the following rating publications:
- Chambers and Partners, 2018 recognised Rob as an Eminent Practitioner for Competition/ Antitrust.
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Rob as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Competition, Energy and Infrastructure and M&A.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Competition/ Antitrust Law, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Trade Law.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 recognised Rob as an ‘Eminent Practitioner’.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Rob as a recommended lawyer for Competition.
- Chambers and Partners Global Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers, 2012, 2015 and 2016
- Global Competition Review, Who’s Who Legal Competition, 2012
- IFLR 1000 2012, 2015, 2016
- Best Lawyers 2011 – 2016
- Recommended by The Legal 500
- Advised on the AB InBev/SABMiller matter which has been nominated for the Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2017 Matter of the year: Merger control, cartel, unilateral conduct, litigation or any other competition matter worldwide. Creative, strategic and innovative work by teams of in-house and external lawyers and economists.
Firm chairman Robert Legh, first ranked in Chambers Global 2006, remains a highly respected competition practitioner. He continues to play a major role in some of the team’s largest transactions, including SABMiller’s proposed combination with Coca-Cola and Gutche Family Investments. One client highlights his “pragmatic and incisive” advice. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Clients comment that Robert Legh offers “huge amounts of experience. He is known within the industry and comes with a lot of credibility.” He acted for South African Breweries against proceedings concerning alleged price discrimination and market allocation. – Chambers and Partners 2016
Publications & Insights
- Law in Africa: “We’ve got a second chance and we had better take it”
- Investors need to know where government stands on public interest issues in SA mergers
- Africa Competition Law Seminar, February 2018
- Two Bowmans partners listed in Global Competition Review’s Women in Antitrust Report 2016
- Legal Week: Focus International
- Brewery says cheers to decision
- Getting the Deal Through – Merger Control 2014
- COMPETITION LAW: SIBERGRAMME 2/2012
- Competition Law Sibergramme Issue 1 of 2012
- Competition Law: Sibergramme 5/2011
- Sibergramme – 2/2009: The Competition and Constitutional Conundrum
- Airlines – 2009 World Wide Competition Law Review
- Competition Law Sibergramme March 2010
- Bowmans announces partner promotions across Africa
- Global IP award for Bowmans in Kenya
- Bowmans commits to ‘one firm’ strategy and announces new brand