- Publications & Insights
Rudolph Labuschagne is a partner in our Cape Town office Competition Practice.
He specialises in all aspects of competition law and regulation, with a particular focus on competition litigation. He has advised and represented clients in a range of industries on South African and Pan-African merger regulation, prohibited practices, cartel investigations, corporate leniency applications and competition compliance and training programmes. He has been involved in a number of precedent setting matters before the South African competition authorities.
Rudolph is the co-author of the 2015 Chambers Cartels Legal Practice Guide on cartel enforcement in South Africa. Before joining Bowmans, Rudolph was a legal counsel at the South African Competition Commission.
He has B.Com and LLB degrees from the University of Pretoria. He is a member of the Cape Law Society’s Special Committee on Competition Law.
- Rudolph has a particular focus on competition litigation and cartel investigations. He was part of the South African Competition Commission’s team that successfully prosecuted South African Airways for abuse of dominance, which resulted in the highest ever penalty levied in South Africa at that time.
- He has acted for a variety of local and multi-national corporations in several business sectors, including the packaging, pharmaceuticals, motor vehicle, aviation, agro and food processing and construction industries in a number of cartel matters before the South African competition authorities, Supreme Court of Appeal and the Constitutional Court.
- Rudolph advises on merger control and regulation in relation to local and multi-jurisdictional transactions and has managed and advised on merger notifications across the African continent, including in relation to COMESA merger notifications.
- Rudolph has advised on and has formulated a number of bespoke competition law compliance and training programmes and has conducted competition law compliance reviews and audits for clients in a range of industries.
- Legal 500 2017 lists Rudolph as a recommended lawyer for Competition.