- Publications & Insights
Ryan Kitcat is a senior associate in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department.
He specialises in and corporate and commercial law and mergers and acquisitions. Ryan’s expertise extends to corporate restructurings, general corporate and commercial matters, corporate governance, and broad-based black economic empowerment transactions.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town and an LLM from the University of Florida, USA.
Ryan was part of the deal teams that advised on the following matters:
- Marriott International, Inc. on its ZAR 2.2 billion acquisition of the intellectual property, hotel management and franchising business of the Protea Hospitality Group (116 hotels in six African countries);
- Apollo Education Group, on its acquisition of an 81% stake in South African education service provider, Milpark Education (Pty) Ltd for USD 25.6 million;
- Hulamin Limited, on the establishment of Isizinda Aluminium Proprietary Limited, whose shares are held 40% by Hulamin and 60% by B-BBEE entity Bingelela Capital (Pty) Ltd, and its acquisition of the Bayside aluminium casthouse in the Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone from BHP Billiton for an undisclosed sum;
- and Rio Tinto Minerals Development Limited, on the restructuring of a USD30 million deferred consideration payment obligation owed to it by Mbeuyashu Proprietary Limited, a subsidiary of Coal of Africa Limited, in connection with the disposal of coal assets in the Greater Soutpansberg Project, Limpopo.
- Ryan was also part of the team that advised Facebook, Inc. on setting up its first African office in Johannesburg, South Africa, a sales office that will operate as a hub for the Southern African region and serve businesses across Africa.