- Publications & Insights
Ryan is a partner in the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice. His practice focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets, corporate finance and securities law.
In the mergers and acquisitions arena, he has a wealth of experience in advising on all aspects of domestic and cross-border transactions, and has been involved in significant public deals, private deals, black economic empowerment transactions and joint ventures. In the equity capital markets and corporate finance arena, Ryan has been involved in several initial public offerings, rights offers and equity placings.
In 2008, he completed a seven month secondment stint at Deutsche Bank AG and in 2012 through 2013 he practiced at premier U.S. law firm, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP.
Ryan has recently been recognized as a “rising star” by the international research organization: IFLR1000, for his mergers and acquisitions and equity capital markets expertise.
Some of the most recent equity capital market transactions in which Ryan has acted include advising:
- HSBC Bank plc and Absa Bank Limited in relation to Ascendis Health Limited’s ZAR 2.7 billion equity capital raising by way of a ZAR 1.2 billion rights offer and ZAR 1.5 billion vendor consideration placing; the underwriting syndicate in relation to Lonmin Plc’s recently completed USD 407 million rights offer;
- Merrill Lynch International and Scotia Capital Inc., in their capacity as joint bookrunners, in connection with Gold Fields Limited’s recent ZAR 2.5 billion accelerated bookbuild share placement;
- Virgin Active Group Holdings Plc in relation to its proposed 2015 IPO;
- GlaxoSmithKline on the sale of part of its equity stake in JSE listed Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited by way of an accelerated bookbuild share placement (deal value ZAR 10.5 billion);
- Capital Appreciation Limited in its listing as a SPAC on the JSE;
- Alexander Forbes in respect of its 2014 listing on the JSE; and
- The underwriting syndicate in respect of the recently completed Woolworths Group Holdings Limited rights offer.
Some of the most recent M&A transactions in which Ryan has acted include advising:
- Tyco in its sale of its ADT South African business to Fidelity (deal value ZAR 1.9 billion);
- Affiliated Managers Group, Inc. in its acquisition of a minority interest in Abax Investments Proprietary Limited;
- GlaxoSmithKline on the sale of part of its equity stake in JSE listed Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited;
- Standard Chartered Bank in its acquisition of the custody and trustee businesses of Absa; and
- VeriFone Systems Inc. NYSE in its expansion into the South African and African market through an acquisition of the entire outstanding share capital of Destiny Electronic Commerce (Proprietary) Limited (a leading South African electronic payment machine operator) from the Business Connexion Group and various minority shareholders.
Ryan has recently been recognised as a “rising star” by the international research organization: IFLR1000, for his mergers and acquisitions and equity capital markets expertise.