Samantha is a partner in our Banking and Finance Department and a member of the Commercial Property Practice Group.
She specialises in commercial property transactions, due diligence in the property and mining sectors, commercial property developments, property finance and securities.
Samantha has significant experience in all aspects of commercial property law, property development and property finance. Samantha has been actively involved in the establishment of numerous freehold and sectional title, commercial, industrial and residential developments throughout South Africa as well as registering security in the form of mortgage and notarial bonds for project finance and structured finance transactions.
She works closely with the Project Finance and Mergers and Acquisition practice in all transactions and advises on land tenure and security aspects including compliance on land issues arising from renewable energy projects under rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the South African Department of Energy’s renewable energy program – such projects include solar PV, hydro, landfill gas and wind projects. Over the years, she has been involved in a number of mining related transactions and mergers and acquisitions in the mining sector where she has regularly advised on all property aspects relating to those transactions including mining title and mortgage bond registration of over mining rights.
Samantha holds a B.Com and LLB degree from the University of the Free State, a certificate in Prospecting and Mining Law from the University of Witwatersrand and is an admitted conveyancer and notary public.
- Harmony Gold Mining Company in relation to its announced acquisition of Anglogold Ashanti’s Moab Khotsong operations in the North West of South Africa for approximately ZAR 4 billion (USD 300 million)
- Advised a Borrower in relation to property due diligence, land sale agreement, long term lease agreement, right of way servitudes and mortgage and notarial bond documents for the development of a limestone mine and construction of a cement plant in the Limpopo Province (value ZAR 1.025 billion).
- Eris Property Group, Old Mutual Insure and First national Bank in relation to the development of a multilevel parkade development in the Johannesburg CBD.
- Regus in relation to ongoing leasing arrangements for centers through South Africa.
- Advised a Lender in relation to a suite of long term lease agreements and mortgage and notarial bond documents for the financing of the design, construction, operation, management and maintenance of a tailings retreatment plant in Chambishi, Zambia (value USD 20 million).
- Advised Royal Bafokeng Resources on an employee housing scheme for approximately permanent 3000 employees (value ZAR 1 billion).
- Conducted property due diligence for developers for compliance with REIPP Procurement Programme and advised the lenders in respect of land agreement, servitude agreements and mortgage and notarial bond documents and advised on other land requirements for financial close in respect of solar, wind and hydro projects.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Real Estate Law.