- Publications & Insights
Shamilah Grimwood is Head of our Banking and Finance Department. Shamilah was previously Head of the Infrastructure Sector Group at Bowmans.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Shamilah was a partner at a leading international law firm where she worked for 15 years. Shamilah was admitted to practice as an attorney in the State of New York in 2001.
Shamilah acts for a range of clients including developers, sponsors, commercial banks, development finance institutions, utilities and government institutions on a range of power, renewable energy, public private partnerships (PPPs), privatisation and other infrastructure-related matters. Shamilah’s transaction experience spans South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana and Botswana.
She co-drafted the first issue of the Standardised Public Private Partnership Provisions for the South African National Treasury, which remains the principal practice guide on PPPs for departments, institutions and other entities in the National and Provincial Governments of South Africa.
Shamilah is a regular speaker and panelist at various conferences on power, infrastructure and project financing. Her expertise has been recognised by Best Lawyers (Lawyer of the Year for Project Finance), Chambers Global (Projects & Energy in South Africa and in Africa), Legal 500 (Projects and Infrastructure and Project Finance/ PPP) and Who’s Who (Public Procurement and Project Finance).
She has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town, South Africa and an LLM from Temple University, USA (Fulbright Scholar).
- Counsel to a leading cement, limestone and aggregates producer on the refinancing of various debt facilities.
- Counsel to an international developer on a marine commercial transport project in East Africa.
- Counsel to various debt funds on their participation in the debt financing of two powership projects in Ghana.
- Advising the sponsor and the project company on the expansion of the existing gas to power project in Ressano Garcia, Mozambique.
- Advising the lenders on the financing of the development of a 250MW liquefied natural gas (LNG) power plant and LNG supply chain facilities in Walvis Bay, Namibia.
- Advised Eskom Holdings SOC Limited on its participation as single buyer and transmission service provider in connection with two peaking power IPPs in South Africa.*
- Advised Eskom Holdings SOC Limited, as single buyer and transmission service provider in Rounds 1 and 2 of the South African REIPPP Programme.*
- International counsel to an AIM listed company on a coal to power project in Mozambique.*
- Counsel to a Brazilian developer on a hydropower project in Mozambique.*
- Counsel to the sponsor on a 300MW coal to power project in Tete, Mozambique.*
- International counsel to a Sino-US investor on its upstream investments in two solar photovoltaic projects in South Africa.*
- Counsel to Sino-US investor on its upstream investment in a domestic coal to power project in Botswana.*
- Counsel to the City of Johannesburg on the privatisation of the Kelvin Power Station.*
- Counsel to the City of Johannesburg on the privatisation of the City’s gas reticulation business, and the establishment of Egoli Gas.*
* prior to joining Bowmans
Shamilah’s accolades include –
- IFLR1000’s 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide rated Shamilah as a Notable Practitioner.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Project Finance and Development Practice.
- International Who’s Who of Public Procurement
- International Who’s Who of Project Finance
- Listing in Best Lawyer – Lawyers of the Year for Project Finance
- Recognised and ranked by Chambers Global for South Africa (Projects & Energy)
- Recognised by Chambers Global for Africa (Projects & Energy)
- Recognised by Legal 500 Europe Middle East & Africa for South Africa (Projects and Infrastructure)
- Recognised by Legal 500 Europe Middle East & Africa for South Africa (Project Finance/PPP).
Shamilah Grimwood is acclaimed by sources for her wide range of experience in the energy, project finance and infrastructure sectors. She represents clients including Investec on power plant financings. – Chambers and Partners 2017
“Shamilah Grimwood is highlighted by peers for her negotiation skills. Her clients include public utilities and banks.” – Chambers and Partners 2016