- Publications & Insights
Tashia Jithoo is an Of Counsel lawyer in our Cape Town office Banking & Financial Services Regulatory team.
She is a specialist employee benefits lawyer with a particular focus on pension law. Tashia is an independent trustee of several funds in South Africa and was formerly the national president of the Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa. She is also a trained mediator.
Tashia has been named a best lawyer by Best Lawyer (Employee Benefits). Her expertise has also been recognised by Who’s Who (Pension and Benefits).
She has BA (Hons) and LLB (summa cum laude) degrees from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, an LLM from the University of Michigan, USA, a Certificate in Training and Development Management and a Postgraduate Diploma in Employment Law from the University of Cape Town.
- Detailed legal research and opinion-writing on all aspects of pension law.
- Advising funds on governance principles and policies and on the management of the legal risks that they face.
- Drafting the rules of retirement funds and rule amendments and procuring their registration by the registrar of pension funds;
- Fund and benefit design.
- Providing strategic advice to various clients including retirement funds, employers and service providers.
- Training principal officers, members of retirement fund boards of management, administration staff and service providers.
- Membership as an independent trustee on retirement funds boards of management.
- Resolution of disputes through mediation.
- Tashia is a co-author of the textbook The Pension Funds Act: A Commentary published by Hunter Law and widely considered to be the leading text book on pension law in South Africa. She has authored and co-authored several articles on pensions law issues, is an independent trustee of several retirement funds and a leading beneficiary fund in South Africa, and also provides training on pension fund law to retirement fund boards and others.
- Tashia is also a trained mediator. Formerly the national president of the Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa, Tashia is a regular speaker at industry conferences and seminars and has also been a speaker at the conference of the International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (Ipebla).
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Employee Benefits Law.
- Tashia has been listed in “Who’s Who Legal: Pension and Benefits” for 2015 and has also been named as a “Best Lawyer” by Best Lawyer Global for South Africa in the category of Employee Benefits for 2014, 2015 and 2016.