- Significant Matters
We are proud to be one of the most recognized full service construction teams in the sector in Africa.
We assist clients throughout the project life cycle of complex infrastructure and construction projects. This includes all stages of development and delivery and extends to financing and disputes under all forms of construction contracts.
We have a wealth of experience that cuts across multiple specialist sectors including energy, manufacturing, mining, real estate, transport, telecoms and utilities.
Our thorough understanding of various standard forms of contracts, including FIDIC, the NEC and the JBCC, allows us to help clients manage their risk in tandem with their risk appetites.
Our disputes expertise extends from mediation, arbitration and litigation to negotiating and structuring major settlement agreements which often deal with interconnected and complex commercial and regulatory issues related to the public sector.
Our recent experience includes assisting South Africa’s principal energy utility with all aspects of its two new flagship coal-fired power plants; advising an Asian port authority on the first public private partnership port in East Africa; and representing an important member of China’s real estate industry before the National Environmental Tribunal against a third party seeking to halt the development of its African real estate headquarters in Kenya. In addition, we are presently advising on the development and construction of East Africa’s first carrier neutral data centre, based on a suite of FIDIC contracts.
Through our footprint in Africa, including the OHADA region, and our strong relationships with firms on the ground in other key jurisdictions, we are well placed to provide cross-border advice spanning the full range of legal services to clients doing business in this sector.
Our specialist construction and engineering lawyers serve clients ranging from major contractors to promoters, leading developers, funders, purchasers, tenants and occupiers among others.
Our specialist services include assisting with/ advising on:
- Applicable legislation across the African continent
- The entire spectrum of construction and engineering law and the related regulatory environment
- Various standard forms of contracts, including FIDIC, the NEC and the JBCC
- Construction aspects of financing agreements, purchase agreements, PPP project agreements and agreements for lease
- Operation and maintenance and facilities management agreements on completed projects
- Construction and engineering disputes including mediation, arbitration and litigation
- LSG SkyChefs
- Palabora Mining Company
- Gigawatt Global
- Shipping Company
- Major roads PPP in Kenya
- Maintenance works on rail infrastructure
- Maintenance works at a nuclear power station
- Construction disputes
- A large residential development
- Construction of a cancer hospital in Kenya
- Bombela Concession Company and Gauteng Provincial Government
- African Agriculture Fund, a private equity fund managed by Phatisa Fund Managers Limited