- Significant Matters
We are proud to be one of the most recognized full service construction teams in the sector in Africa.
We assist clients throughout the project life cycle of complex infrastructure and construction projects. This includes all stages of development and delivery and extends to financing and disputes under all forms of construction contracts.
We have a wealth of experience that cuts across multiple specialist sectors including energy, manufacturing, mining, real estate, transport, telecoms and utilities.
Our thorough understanding of various standard forms of contracts, including FIDIC, the NEC and the JBCC, allows us to help clients manage their risk in tandem with their risk appetites.
Our disputes expertise extends from mediation, arbitration and litigation to negotiating and structuring major settlement agreements which often deal with interconnected and complex commercial and regulatory issues related to the public sector.
Our recent experience includes assisting South Africa’s principal energy utility with all aspects of its two new flagship coal-fired power plants; advising an Asian port authority on the first public private partnership port in East Africa; and representing an important member of China’s real estate industry before the National Environmental Tribunal against a third party seeking to halt the development of its African real estate headquarters in Kenya. In addition, we are presently advising on the development and construction of East Africa’s first carrier neutral data centre, based on a suite of FIDIC contracts.
Through our footprint in Africa, including the OHADA region, and our strong relationships with firms on the ground in other key jurisdictions, we are well placed to provide cross-border advice spanning the full range of legal services to clients doing business in this sector.
Our specialist construction and engineering lawyers serve clients ranging from major contractors to promoters, leading developers, funders, purchasers, tenants and occupiers among others.
Our specialist services include assisting with/ advising on:
- Applicable legislation across the African continent
- The entire spectrum of construction and engineering law and the related regulatory environment
- Various standard forms of contracts, including FIDIC, the NEC and the JBCC
- Construction aspects of financing agreements, purchase agreements, PPP project agreements and agreements for lease
- Operation and maintenance and facilities management agreements on completed projects
- Construction and engineering disputes including mediation, arbitration and litigation
Click here to download our Construction Contracts guide.
- Bowmans advises LSG SkyChefs on construction project at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi
- Bowmans advises Palabora Mining Company on is copper mining expansion project
- Bowmans advises WBHO on national road project in Swaziland
- Bowmans advised Gigawatt Global on its 100MW gas fired power station in Mozambique
- Bowmans advises on the construction aspects of a new cruise terminal and related infrastructure in South Africa
- Bowmans advises on construction contracts for a major roads PPP in Kenya
- Bowmans advises on disputes in relation to maintenance works on rail infrastructure
- Bowmans advises on maintenance works at a nuclear power station
- Bowmans advises on a number of construction disputes
- Bowmans advises on FIDIC contracts in respect of a large residential development in Nairobi
- Bowmans advises on the construction of a cancer hospital in Kenya
- Bowmans advises Aveng in relation to R860 million disposal of infrastructure assets to Royal Bafokeng Holdings
- Bombela Concession Company and Gauteng Provincial Government
- African Agriculture Fund, a private equity fund managed by Phatisa Fund Managers Limited