- Significant Matters
Tourism continues to be a growth area in many African economies and this, together with increased business travel into and within Africa, has been driving activity in recent times in the hotels and leisure sector on the continent. This includes the development of new hotels and increased M&A activity in the sector.
We have specialist know-how and experience in the sector, having advised a number of international hotel groups as they commenced doing business in Africa, or have looked to expand their existing footprint in Africa. Such advice has covered many different areas including real estate leasing, conservation, development and construction, intellectual property licensing, gambling licensing, franchising, environmental and other regulatory advice, financing, tax structuring and dispute resolution.
From an M&A perspective we have advised one of the world’s largest hotel groups in its acquisition of a South African based hotel group with interests in over eight African countries. From a real estate and conservation perspective, we have specialist experience in assisting clients create and implement legal structures for primarily community based conservation projects, a key product offering for players in the African tourism sector. We have for many years acted for most of the big names in conservation around the world, including The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, African Parks Network, African Wildlife Foundation, Ol Pejeta Conservancy and The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy among others.
Through our footprint in Africa, including the OHADA region, and our strong relationships with firms on the ground in other key jurisdictions in Africa, we are well placed to provide cross-border advice spanning the full range of legal services to clients doing business in this sector.
- Bowmans advises Chinese resort developer Zhonghong Holding on USD 412 million acquisition of Abercrombie & Kent Group
- Bowmans advises merging parties in relation to acquisition of joint control of CTA Travel and Kuoni Holdings by Canadian Private Equity Investors
- Bowmans advises HNA Group on the African competition elements of its acquisition of shares in CWT Limited
- Bowmans advises World Triathlon Corporation and Ironman Epic Holdings on their acquisition of company responsible for the ABSA Cape Epic, the world’s foremost mountain-bike stage race
- Bowmans advises a large international hotel chain on possible establishment of operations in Nairobi
- Bowmans advises Wilderness Holdings on its acquisition of the Governors’ Camp Group of Companies in Kenya and Rwanda