- Significant Matters
The industrial sector is an essential driving force in Africa’s economic development. Industry and industrial development are prerequisites for sustained economic and societal growth. Investment into the industrial sector is therefore seen as a key priority for most, if not all, African countries.
Undoubtedly, there are challenges and issues for any developing economy. These include insufficient power supply, too few suppliers within countries, and poor infrastructure. While these challenges may make it difficult for investors to lay down operations, industrial policy stimulating manufacturing production will create opportunities for vast wealth creation.
We understand the challenges that face industrial operations in Africa and are well-qualified to provide expert advice to our clients in this sector.
Our offering spans the full range of corporate services from providing counsel on the complex financing required to establish, develop and grow an organisation to major transactions (including disposals, acquisitions and other M&A activity) within the sector. Our service extends to all the specialist areas of law associated with activity of this nature including competition and antitrust, employment and tax.
For example, we have recently provided investment advice to a large manufacturer of plastics and plastic packaging products which has operations in Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and various holding companies in Mauritius and advised on the acquisition of a leading manufacturer of wire and cable solutions.
We also have extensive experience assisting clients in the sector to resolve disputes.
Our clients include major organisations in the automotive, chemical, construction materials, electrical, metals, mining and power generation equipment, packaging, paper, steel and other industrial manufacturing industries.
- Bowmans advises AECI on Senior Unsecured Fixed Rate notes under its ZAR 5 billion DMTN Programme
- Bowmans advises AECI on the establishment of its ZAR 5 billion DMTN Programme
- Bowmans advises Airports Company South Africa on customs and excise legislation rollout
- Bowmans advises Kenya Airways on USD 2.3 billion turnaround strategy
- Bowmans advises General Motors South African on disposal of Isuzu business
- Bowmans advises HNA Group on the African competition elements of its acquisition of shares in CWT Limited
- Bowmans advises Chevron Global Energy on disposal of interest in Chevron South Africa and Chevron Botswana
- Bowmans advises Safran S.A. as competition counsel on the acquisition of Zodiac Aerospace S.A.
- Bowmans advises as local counsel on acquisition of La Compagnie d’Exploitation des Services Auxiliaires Aériens S.A by HNA Aviation Group
- Bowmans advises Car & General and Cummins BV joint venture in Kenya
- Bowmans advises large voluntary industry body on regulatory aspects of waste management charges in the paper and packaging industry
- Bowmans acts in Precedent Setting and Award Winning Competition Litigation Case relating to Nationwide Airlines
- Bowmans advises as South African counsel to KIK Custom Products Inc. on its acquisition of the Prestone Group
- Bowmans advises as Africa competition counsel on USD 6,335 million acquisition of control of United Arab Shipping Company (S.A.G)