- Significant Matters
As the long term demand for Africa’s resources grows, we anticipate a growing demand for related legal services.
We have established ourselves as a leading legal adviser within the mining industry in Africa and offer a full complement of legal services in this sector.
We have a strong record of acting on the most significant mining-related mergers and acquisitions across the African continent. We support our clients through every aspect of mining and resource-related transactions from the initial due diligence through regulatory compliance to negotiating and closing the deals. We have also advised on some of the largest and most innovative debt and equity capital market transactions on the continent.
We are able to co-ordinate our service through a single point of contact offering a seamless service and making the execution of cross-border transactions less cumbersome, time-consuming and costly.
Whether clients are negotiating offtakes, supply side contracts or require day-to-day commercial agreement support, we have the necessary depth of expertise and skills to assist.
We regularly advise clients on all matters relating to local mining legislation, including but not limited to compliance, mining title and other legal opinions, applications and acquisitions of rights, review applications, appeals and due diligences.
We have assisted numerous clients on the interaction of environmental and mining legislation, including licensing, appeals and court reviews of licensing decisions.
We have experience in successfully objecting to the grant of prospecting or mining right applications and pursuing appeals against decisions regarding the grant or refusal of mining and prospecting applications.
Our experience extends to mine incident and accident enquiries, dealing with notifications and assisting with legal compliance associated with health and safety.
Our clients include global mining and resources companies, investors, banks and financial institutions, state-owned enterprises and various government departments within the mining and resources sector.
- Palabora Mining Company
- Royal Bafokeng Platinum
- Multimillion USD financing and refinancing – Rockwell Resources RSA
- Sibanye Gold Eastern Operations Pty Ltd
- Wescoal Holdings Limited
- Multi-stakeholder facilitation in the SA mining sector
- Sibanye Gold’s USD 1 Billion Rights Offering and USD 1 Billion Bond Offering to Finance Stillwater Mining Acquisition
- ZAR2 billion financing for Royal Bafokeng Platinum Limited and Royal Bafokeng Resources Pty Ltd
- Lucapa Diamond Company Limited
- Mining Sector Multi-Billion Revolving Facility Agreement
- Eurasian Resources Group – Africa
- Mining Major
- Joint Bookrunners
- African Rainbow Minerals Limited
- Rio Tinto International Holdings Limited
- De Beers Consolidated Mines Proprietary Limited
- Shanduka Group Proprietary Limited
- AngloGold Ashanti Limited
- Absa Bank Limited
- Credit Suisse AG (CS) / Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) (joint appointment)