- Significant Matters
Pharmaceutical spending in Sub-Saharan Africa is forecasted to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 11% from 2013 to 2023 (according to Business Monitor International). This is due to increasing wealth and demand for the treatment of chronic diseases.
Our team (consisting of corporate, competition, regulatory and dispute resolution lawyers who focus on the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sector and who have gained considerable industry insight) is well placed to partner with our clients and assist them in pursuing these opportunities.
We have extensive experience in, and regularly advise stakeholders across, the healthcare services and products supply chain, including pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, pharmacies, hospitals, health practitioners (through the Medical Protection Society) open and restricted medical schemes, medical scheme administrators and managed healthcare providers.
Our clients include two of the South African listed private hospital groups, one of the world’s largest mutual indemnity associations and a number of multinational and local pharmaceutical companies supplying products in a variety of therapeutic categories.
Our services span a wide range of practice areas which include advising on all aspects of the regulation of medicines (including complementary medicines) and medical devices, pharmacies, hospitals, healthcare professionals, medical schemes and medical insurance.
We have extensive experience advising on mergers and acquisitions (including due diligence investigations and related agreements), competition issues and employment law within the sector.
We have also assisted our clients in effectively resolving disputes within the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sector.
- Bowmans advises Exova Group (UK) Limited as South African counsel in respect of its acquisition of shares in Jones Environmental Forensic
- Bowmans advises acquirer of iNova Pharmaceuticals business in relation to South Africa
- Bowmans advises ChemChina on Africa Merger Filings in fifth largest global M&A transaction of 2016
- The Government of Lesotho
- Bowmans advises Dis-Chem Pharmacies on second largest IPO on the JSE in 2016
- Bowmans advises Dis-Chem on second largest IPO on the JSE in 2016
- Bowmans advises GlaxoSmithKline on accelerated bookbuild relating to its Aspen Pharmacare disposal valued at R8.4 billion
- Bowmans advises the underwriters and bookrunners in R1.2 billion Ascendis Health rights offer
- Bowmans advises Clicks in asset for share transaction relating to BTB Media, Clicks Mobile Communications and Sorbet