- Significant Matters
Our specialists in technology, media and telecommunications law advise clients in this sector operating or looking to enter into the African market.
With extensive experience of the regulatory landscape in many African jurisdictions, we assist our clients get to market quickly while avoiding many of the pitfalls of operating in a new jurisdiction.
We advise on licensing requirements and policy and market developments in this highly regulated sector.
We also assist in a wide array of corporate mergers and acquisitions and commercial agreements which take into account technology, media and telecommunications regulatory requirements. These range from all forms of infrastructure sharing arrangements, to fibre optic network deployments (on an EPC, EPCM, BOT or simple design build basis), to system integration, software development, software or platform licensing, IT services (in all forms including outsourcing) to providing comprehensive advice on data protection, compliance and data breach and incident response.
In the telecommunications sphere, our close relationships with government agencies and industry regulators are a significant factor in our ability to provide exceptional advice to our telecommunications clients regarding the environments in which they operate. We have extensive experience advising on regulatory requirements, particularly in relation to licensing as well as compliance. We have assisted our clients to respond to policy and market developments in the sector. We have also been involved in a range of transactions to give effect to sharing arrangements.
We advise various media clients in the context of their commercial operations in South Africa and with regard to their regulatory obligations. We also regularly advise the regulator, ICASA.
Our technology expertise covers software development and systems integration, as well as hosting and indirect distribution models such as reselling and white labelling. We offer tailored advice and always provide a holistic perspective on how to mitigate risks inherent in particular circumstances.
Click here to download our technology, media and telecommunications brochure.
- Bowmans advises City of Johannesburg on implementation of SAP S4 HANA enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution
- Bowmans advises OLX on copyright and trademark infringements in Kenya and India
- Bowmans advises the Millicom Group in relation to high profile superior court litigation against Golden Globe International Services
- Bowmans advises Oger Telecom Limited in relation to its proposed disinvestment of its majority stake in Cell C
- Bowmans advises Wireless Business Solutions on 5G technology national ‘high-speed’ network
- Bowmans advises Indian multinational Tata Communications on ZAR 6.55 billion disposal of equity in Neotel
- Convergence Partners Investments Proprietary Limited
- Bowmans advises Orange SA on disposal of 70% equity in Telkom Kenya
- Teraco Data Environments