- Significant Matters
The drive by governments in Sub-Saharan Africa to stimulate employment, protect workers’ rights and address historical imbalances has produced a variety of distinct regulatory systems for employment in the region. This is made more complex by a strong culture of collective bargaining, and an overlap between labour and social issues, between strikes and social protest across the region.
We have been at the forefront of employment law in the region for many years. We offer a breadth and depth of knowledge and experience in the fields of industrial relations, employment, employee benefits and pensions law in Africa that is hard to match.
According to Legal 500 we have, ‘a tremendous record in South Africa and East Africa, providing “excellent turnaround times”, “a professional service” and an “in-depth understanding” of clients’ businesses and subject matter’.
We keep our clients at the forefront of developments in employment laws, regularly contribute to employment law publications and provide training and present lectures in a variety of forums.
We deliver the following specialist employment law services across both the public and the private sectors in the African countries in which we operate.
- Employee engagement
- Investigations and employee risk management
- Business transfers, outsourcing and restructuring
- Industrial relations
- Dispute resolution
- Bowmans advises acquirer of iNova Pharmaceuticals business in relation to South Africa
- A client in the FMCG sector
- A major catering group
- Financial Services Firm
- Education Institution
- Pick ‘n Pay Retailers (Pty) Ltd
- Transnet Group SOC Ltd
- Multi-stakeholder facilitation in the SA mining sector
- Bowmans advises General Motors South African on disposal of Isuzu business
- Bowmans advises World Triathlon Corporation and Ironman Epic Holdings on their acquisition of company responsible for the ABSA Cape Epic, the world’s foremost mountain-bike stage race
- ABI Bottling (Pty) Limited
- Mining Major
- Putco (Pty) Ltd
- Bowmans advises Choppies Supermarkets on acquisition of retail business of Jwayelani Retail valued at R189 million
- Standard Bank of SA Ltd
- Anglo American and AngloGold Ashanti
- Global IT / Business processing Solutions Company
- Eskom SOC Ltd