- Significant Matters
Doing business in Africa, as in most international jurisdictions, requires specialised counsel to effectively manage corporate environmental risks and decision-making.
We are one of Africa’s leading environmental law firms, offering real depth and a broad range of expertise in environmental law.
Our service covers legal risk mitigation and management, permitting, projects and developments, appeals against administrative decisions and judicial reviews, criminal and administrative disputes, impacts and compliance, due-diligence investigations and compliance auditing.
Our specialist environmental lawyers are equipped with a practical understanding of both the law and its application by the regulators and are able to handle environmental matters in all the jurisdictions in which we are located.
We are able to ensure that our clients’ environmental requirements and risks are seamlessly managed in alignment with their broader business requirements and priorities.
We have a strong commercial-environmental understanding in a transactional context, including with respect to the intersection among sectors such as mining, energy and infrastructure developments, environmental issues and community interests, pollution and contaminated land liabilities, as well as appropriate mechanisms for the allocation of related risks in transactions, authorisation requirements for developments and general environmental transactional risks.
We frequently represent clients with respect to environmental authority enforcement actions, compliance notices, directives, appeals and reviews, as well as in criminal prosecutions on environmental matters.
Chambers & Partners has ranked our Environmental Practice in Band 1 for the past two years (2015 and 2016). According to the publication, we are an “Excellent firm acting for an impressive variety of clientele”; we have “exceptional regulatory expertise”; and are “well placed to advise on environmental aspects of complex acquisitions and financings”. We are also mentioned for our “strength in environmental investigations and compliance proceedings”. Clients are quoted as saying that we are “excellent” and “first-class”; our “briefs are brilliant”; and our “attorneys are very hands-on”.
We serve the top end of the South African and broader African market, advising on government processes, commercial lending and mergers and acquisitions (including cross-jurisdictional work in transactional and other matters). Our clients include large listed corporations and the public sector.
- Bowmans advises Exova Group (UK) Limited as South African counsel in respect of its acquisition of shares in Jones Environmental Forensic
- Bowmans advises SAMA and farmers in the Tarlton area on representations to the Department of Water and Sanitation
- Bowmans advises various South African corporations in relation to environmental contamination and other compliance obligations and risks
- Bowmans advises Department of Energy and National Treasury on renewable energy and other IPP programmes
- Bowmans advises acquirer on purchase of R1.8 billion assets from Zendai South Africa
- Bowmans advises Chevron Global Energy on disposal of interest in Chevron South Africa and Chevron Botswana
- Bowmans advises Friends of Tsitsikamma in urgent application to interdict and review authorities decision to permit recreationaly angling in the Tsitsikamma Marine Protected Area
- Bowmans successfully defends international chemicals company in criminal proceedings relating to burial of waste by contractor
- Bowmans advises Schneider Electric on disposal of shares in Conlog to JSE-listed company CIG
- Bowmans advises large voluntary industry body on regulatory aspects of waste management charges in the paper and packaging industry
- Bowmans successfully acts for JSE-listed Phumelela Gaming in environmental authorisation appeal
- Bowmans advises Choppies Supermarkets on acquisition of retail business of Jwayelani Retail valued at R189 million
- Rio Tinto International Holdings Limited