- Significant Matters
We have a strong record of acting on the most significant corporate and M&A transactions across the African continent. This is because our size and geographic spread combined with our breadth of skills, experience and good relationships with regulators, enables us to handle large and time-critical transactions.
According to the Legal 500, we have “a pan-African scope” to our “corporate practice”. Our “ability to service inbound investors and multinationals” has enabled us “to tap into the growth in Chinese and US investment across Africa”.
Our services include public acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures, unbundlings and other investments and divestitures including public M&A, both contested and uncontested, and private M&As.
We also have considerable expertise in the fields of privatisation and public-to- private transactions and have advised shareholders becoming more active in the management of their companies. In South Africa, we have been involved in the structuring and implementation of complex black economic empowerment transactions.
We represent participants in transactions in virtually all capacities – purchasers, sellers, financiers, financial advisers, directors and shareholders.
In most cases we project manage the entire transaction which includes conducting a legal due diligence investigation, providing strategic advice, negotiating terms, drafting documentation and assisting with the implementation of the transaction from a legal point of view.
Our clients range from listed and unlisted domestic and international corporations, banks and financial institutions, to state-owned enterprises and government departments and their agencies.
We have also served as local counsel for a range of international financial institutions and corporates, as well as international law firms and merchant banks.
- Associated British Foods
- Africa Health Fund LLC
- Exova Group (UK) Limited
- Acquirer of iNova Pharmaceuticals business
- Sanlam Emerging Markets
- Kansai Plascon Africa
- Abraaj Group
- Kenya Airways
- Sibanye Gold’s USD 1 Billion Rights Offering and USD 1 Billion Bond Offering to Finance Stillwater Mining Acquisition
- Weetabix Group
- East Africa Bottling Share Company
- Appletiser South Africa
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa and subsidiary
- Superior Homes
- General Motors South Africa
- Merging parties
- HNA Group
- Public Investment Corporation SOC
- Chevron Global Energy
- Tyco International
- Sale of infrastructure assets from Aveng to Royal Bafokeng Holdings
- Lucapa Diamond Company Limited
- Safran S.A.
- AB InBev
- Oger Telecom’s disinvestment in Cell C
- Local counsel on acquisition of La Compagnie d’Exploitation des Services Auxiliaires Aériens S.A by HNA Aviation Group
- Schneider Electric
- Car & General and Cummins BV joint venture
- World Triathlon Corporation and Ironman Epic Holdings
- Kleoss Capital
- SPAR BBBEE Employee Trust
- Kleoss Fund I
- ARM Cement Limited
- Plum LLP
- Associated British Foods
- African Agriculture Fund, a private equity fund managed by Phatisa Fund Managers Limited
- Convergence Partners Investments Proprietary Limited
- Ccounsel to KIK Custom Products Inc.
- Catalyst Principal Partners
- Choppies Supermarkets
- Rio Tinto International Holdings Limited
- OMP Africa Investment Company Proprietary Limited
- Abraaj, AfricInvest, Swedfund and UAP Holdings Limited
- Teraco Data Environments
- Africa competition counsel