- Significant Matters
For over a century, we have met the demands of the industry by providing shipping and logistics services to our extensive range of local and international clients.
Our lawyers have been involved in many of the most significant local casualties over the past two decades, recently including the collisions involving the “Chemstar Jewel” and the “Sunrise Jade”, the fires aboard the “Tai Shan” and the “Maersk Londrina”, the sinking of the “Kiani Satu”, the grounding of the “Smart” and the loss of containers overboard the “Seroja Lima”.
We have received praise from the Legal 500, highlighting the fact that we undertake work ranging from “traditional ship finance to major casualty work”; are “trustworthy”; have a “professional approach”; and provide “a prompt and efficient service” rooted in “a clear knowledge of the law”. Clients also appreciate our “international knowledge and perspective”.
According to a client quoted by Chambers & Partners, our team was “excellent”, “very practical” and “helped us get done what we had to get done in the most efficient way possible”. Another said the size of our team means we “can handle a big enforcement, with lots of moving parts and competing claims”.
Our specialist services include casualty response, shipping litigation, commercial shipping and finance and logistics.
In addition, our Ports Terminals and Logistics Corridors Sector Group has extensive expertise in the ports, terminals and logistics corridors sector across numerous countries on the African continent.
Please navigate to our signature matters page to view highlighted signature matters for Shipping.
Southern Africa’s dangerous coastline is notorious for serious high profile losses. We strive to provide immediate legal and practical assistance. Our shipping experts are available 24 hrs a day via our National Helpline (+27 21 480 7920). In case of emergency, the following people will be available:
- Cargo Claims – Maize
- Potential pollution incident at the SBM at Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Owners and P&I insurers of the “Tai Shan”
- Owners and insurers of the “Seroja Lima”
- Hilane Limited
- LBH Mozambique Limitada
- Lighthouse Navigation Co Ltd, the charterers of the “Dubai Sun”
- The slot charterers of the “Maersk Londrina” and their P&I insurers
- Archer Daniels Midland
- Owners and H&M underwriters of the “Chemstar Jewel”
- Bank Cantonale Vaudoise (BCV)
- Owners, P&I Club and H&M insurers of the “Thor Breeze”
- The owners of the “Privgulf” and their insurers
- The owners of the “Sunrise Jade” and their H&M insurers
- Credit Europe Bank
- Unicredit Bank
- Credit Suisse Bank
- HSBC Bank