Alex is a senior associate in the Banking and Finance department of our Johannesburg office.
He has experience in secured and syndicated lending, acquisition and leveraged finance, vendor funding transactions and mezzanine finance. Alex has also advised both lenders and borrowers on various complicated debt and capital restructuring transactions.
He holds a B.Com PPE and an LLB (cum laude) from the University of Cape Town.
- Advising a South African telecommunication company in respect of the ZAR 24 billion restructuring of its debt and capital structure, with the parties to the transaction being situated in, among others, China, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and South Africa.
- Advising Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited on the finance aspects of a transaction in which it purchased mining assets from Anglogold Ashanti Limited for USD 300 million.
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, Absa Bank Limited, Nedbank Limited and FirstRand Bank Limited in respect of ZAR 4.5 term loan facilities provided to a large South African company for the purposes of, among other things, refinancing its existing indebtedness.
- Advising African Rainbow Minerals Limited (ARM) in respect of a debt restructure with Glencore Holdings Limited with an estimated transaction value to ARM of ZAR 5.5 billion.
- Advising various local and international financial institutions in respect of the ZAR 2 billion restructure of Real People Investment Holdings Limited’s debt and capital structure.
- Advising various local financial institutions and the borrower (a company operating in the retail sector) in relation to the restructure of the borrower’s debt and capital structure;
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Absa Bank Limited in respect of ZAR 880 million term loan facilities provided to In2Food Group Proprietary Limited for the purposes of (i) refinancing its existing indebtedness; and (ii) certain proposed acquisitions.