- Publications & Insights
Agnes Akal is an associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Dispute Resolution department.
Agnes specialises in dispute resolution and intellectual property litigation.
She is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya.
Agnes has a LLB from the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology in Kenya and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
- Successfully represented the Government of Kenya in international arbitration proceedings that were filed at ICSID by WalAm Energy, a Canadian headquartered company that claims to have suffered damage due to revocation of an energy contract in Kenya. Bowmans was acting as co- counsel with Freshfields Bruckhaus and Deringer. WalAm is now required to pay the Republic of Kenya USD 648,857.75 corresponding to its share of the costs of the arbitration as well as reimburse 75% of the Government of Kenya’s legal fees and expenses in the amount of EUR 3,586,039.28 and USD 252,262.82.
- Successfully represented a locally renowned insurance company, UAP Old Mutual Group Limited in an insurance fraud arbitration matter.
- Acting for an oil and gas company in an arbitral dispute against a Kenyan state- owned company in a petroleum dispute where the claim is USD 23,000,000.
- Acting for an oil and gas company in an arbitral dispute where the claim is approximately KES 376,000,000.
- Acting for Mahindra & Mahindra Pty Limited in an arbitral dispute relating to complex commercial arrangement on supply of agricultural produce where the claim is KES 160,000,000.
- Successfully represented AVIC international in a challenge filed before the National Environment Tribunal seeking to halt the development of AVIC’s headquarters in Africa, which is currently Nairobi’s largest mixed use development.
- Represented Dalbit Petroleum Kenya Limited in a reference filed at the East African Court of Justice at Arusha, Tanzania against the Honourable Attorney General of the Republic of Rwanda from a decision of the Supreme Court of Rwanda. Matter later withdrawn to facilitate out of court settlement discussions.
- Advised Salvatore Ferragamo on a filing action before the Kenya Anti- Counterfeit Authority which resulted in a successful raid, seizure and destruction of counterfeit products infringing on the protected trade mark rights of Salvatore Ferragamo.
- Advised Reed Elsevier (UK) Limited, trading as Lexis Nexis, on filing a counterfeit action before the Kenya Anti- Counterfeit Authority which resulted in a successful raid and seizure of counterfeit book sets infringing on the Lexis Nexis copyright. Consequently, criminal proceedings were instituted against the suspected counterfeiter.
- Advised Diageo on an anti-counterfeit matter in Rwanda in relation to its JOHNNY WALKER whisky brand that originated in Dubai.
- Advising Wahl Clipper Corporation in several anti- counterfeit mandates over the past 2 years across the country.
- Secondment at Stephenson Harwood LLP in London at the Commercial Litigation Department – International Arbitration team (Africa focus group) for a period of three months in 2019.
- Awarded the Order of Grand Warrior of Kenya by His Excellency Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta on 18 December 2020.
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: Extension of Deadline for the Recording of Intellectual Property Rights with the Kenyan Anti-Counterfeit Authority to 1 January 2023
- Kenya: The Anti-Counterfeit Authority’s Compliance Requirements for Intellectual Property Rights Owners
- Legislation Progress on the Anti-Counterfeit Act Regulations
- Counterfeiting is stalling the growth of E-commerce in Kenya
- World Trade mark Review: Court of Appeal upholds High Court decision in Doshi case