- Publications & Insights
Aisha Ally Sinda is a senior associate in our Dar es Salaam office.
She specializes in banking and finance, competition, capital markets, corporate, conveyancing and property law, mergers and acquisitions, mining, oil and gas and PPP projects.
During her career, she has worked in the oil and gas M&A department at Allen & Overy LLP and Royal Dutch Shell in London as part of the International Lawyers for Africa programme (ILFA) in 2012. Aisha was also seconded to the World Trade Organisation in 2010 were she contributed to the work of the African Unit of the ITTC on a broad range of issues including the challenges facing African countries in the multilateral trading system after the global financial crisis and their participation in the WTO dispute settlement mechanism.
Aisha is a member of the Tanganyika Law Society and the East Africa Law Society.
She has an LLB (Hons) from the University of Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, and an LLM in International Trade and Investment Law from the University of Pretoria, South Africa. She also has a Postgraduate Certificate in Economic Law & Competition in the European Union from the European Institute of Foreign Studies, Turin, Italy.
Aisha has been advising corporate clients on various business transactions such as:
- Precision Air Services Ltd and Citibank N.A acting through Clifford Chance LLP on civil aviation matters and Tanzania’s ratification of the Cape Town Convention. She also provided a legal opinion in relation to the delivery of seven ATR aircraft and spare parts to Precision Air Services Ltd.
- a proposed registration of an aircraft in Tanzania by an air operator in Ivory Coast, without a delegation by the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority to the Registry in Ivory Coast under Article 83bis of the Chicago Convection.
- Standard Chartered Bank London and Standard Chartered Bank Tanzania Ltd in connection with a USD 83 million oil financing facility to Hashi Energy Tanzania and Hashi energy Kenya Ltd.
- Standard Chartered Bank London and Standard Chartered Bank Dubai in connection with a USD 125 million commodities financing facility to Export Trading Company Ltd.
- China Development Bank on a USD 148 million term loan to finance the acquisition of certain telecommunications equipment.
- MIC Tanzania Ltd (one of Tanzania’s leading mobile telecom operators operating under the “Tigo” brand) in relation to a syndicated loan of USD 309 million to refinance an existing third party debt and to finance working capital investments in the client’s telecommunication network infrastructure. The loan was granted by a syndicate of local and international banks including Calyon SA France Bank, PROPACO, Standard Chartered Bank, EDC, and the Development Bank of Southern Africa.
- Capital markets and securities laws, Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange rules and requirements, anti-competition filings and participating in management meetings and presentations. This transaction was unique due its size. It also represented a huge potential investment by foreign investors in Tanzania.
- Stanbic Bank Tanzania Ltd in connection with the Syndicated Facility for Kagera Sugar Project refinancing. She reviewed the term sheet, drafted and registered the finance and security documents, provided advisory services on syndications and provided a legal opinion in relation to the syndication.
- Negotiated the Asset Share Sale and the Shareholders Agreement between Kenya Airways and Precision Air Services Ltd.
- Acting for a Mauritian Company in conducting a legal due diligence on two Tanzanian oil companies (Gapco and Gap Oil) in connection with acquisition of the oil companies.
- Covington and Burlington in the acquisition of a major East African Company, including competition and other regulatory issues arising.
- Linklaters LLP, London on regulatory approvals required for a corporate takeover of the Dominion Petroleum Ltd Group.
- Advising and conducting due diligence on Zantel Tanzania and general corporate approvals and consents for Emirates Telecommunication Corporation, UAE.
- Providing an opinion on the acquisition and transfer of assets of a petroleum company and the relevant regulatory authorities for a petroleum downstream company.
- Reviewing documents of a gas exploration company and providing an opinion on the relevant laws and regulatory authorities on the acquisition, transfer of assets and licences and registration of corporate documents with the relevant authority.
- Statoil ASA with regard to their LNG plant project and acquisition of land.
- Advised a client on the development of the East African Pipeline Project.
- Tanzania International Container Terminal Services Ltd (TICTS) on negotiating with trade unions on collective agreement, disputes on unfair termination and retrenchment at the High Court Labour Division and Commission for Mediation and Arbitration.
- TANESCO in ICSID arbitration proceedings regarding a tariff dispute with Standard Chartered Bank, Hong Kong, involving a Power Purchase Agreement and a variety of loan and security agreements.
- Equity Bank of Kenya and United Bank of Pakistan in the establishment of their banking business in Tanzania.