- Publications & Insights
Alex Mathini is a partner in our Nairobi office in the Corporate department and heads the Tax practice.
Alex’s practice mainly focuses on mergers and acquisitions, tax law, corporate and commercial law, private equity transactions and the setting up of funds.
He has an LLB from the University of Nairobi and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is a Certified Public Secretary and a Certified Public Accountant.
- Currently advising on the setting up of two debt factoring platforms in Kenya.
- Advising the Tata Group of Companies in relation to receivables financing transaction pursuant to facilities advanced by ICICI Bank Limited (DIFC Branch) to the Tata Group.
- Advising Branch International Limited in respect of receivables financing transaction for facilities of up to USD 25 million from Victory Park Capital.
- Advising Lendable Inc. in relation to all its receivables financing (off-balance sheet and on-balance sheet) finance transactions in Kenya targeted at Kenyan alternative lenders such as microfinance institutions and other micro-lenders.
- Advising Umati Capital on its various receivables financing transactions in Kenya.
- Advising Capital Tool Company on the proposed setting up of an invoice finance and management infrastructure (referred to as The Receivable Finance Infrastructure, which will be utilised in financing the purchase of invoices (invoice discounting/debt factoring).
- Advising Capital Tool Company Limited on its securitisation transactions in Kenya.
- Advising Britam Holdings Plc on the early redemption of its KES 6 billion Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advising Azuri Technologies Limited in relation to receivables financing for facilities of EUR 3.6 million from ElectriFi, USD 6 million from IP2IPO, and USD 3.6 million from SIMA Fund, among others.
- Advising Africa Finance Corporation on a USD 50 million investment by way of convertible subordinated secured term loan facility into Athi River Mining Limited, a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Advising Branch International Limited on the issuance of a secured commercial paper programme valued at KES 200 million.
- Advising Branch International Limited owner of a social-media linked mobile phone lending app in relation to receivables financing transaction for facilities from Colchis Capital of up to USD 50 million.
- Advising Watu Credit Limited on the security structure for its asset finance receivables to enable it trade the same on an online marketplace.
- Acting for AfricInvest Fund III in their investment in, and acquisition of a minority stake, in Silafrica Plastics and Packaging and the Silafrica Plastics group of companies.
- Acting as legal counsel to KQ on its turnaround strategy and capital optimization programme.
- Advising JP Sa Couto,S.A., one of the world’s largest manufacturers and providers of educational computing devices in its public procurement tender submitted jointly with Moi University, one of Kenya’s largest public universities, to the ICT Authority of Kenya for the Digital Literacy Programme.
- Advised General Plastics Limited on the USD 14.2 million investment by a fund managed by Phatisa Fund Managers Limited.
- Advised M Holdings Limited, owned by various shareholders of Bank M Tanzania, in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Oriental Commercial Bank Limited.
- Advised in the acquisition of a minority interest by Swiss Re In Apollo Investments Limited, the holding company of Apollo Life & APA Insurance which conduct general and life insurance business in Kenya and East Africa.
- Acted for Kansai Plascon Africa Ltd (KPAL), a top global paint manufacturer and a subsidiary of Kansai Paint Co., Ltd (Kansai Paint)) in relation to its proposed acquisition of 100% of Sadolin Paints’ operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zanzibar and Burundi (Sadolin Paints).
- Advised Plum LLP on the acquisition of 23.34% of the total issued shares of Britam Holdings Limited from the Government of Mauritius.
- Acted as legal counsel to Resolution Group Limited on the further additional investment by LeapFrog Financial Inclusion Fund II, LP in Resolution Insurance Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary, by way of a convertible loan of KES 1 billion.
- Advised Fidelity Commercial Bank and the shareholders of Fidelity Commercial Bank in its acquisition by SBM Africa Holdings, a member of the SBM Group.
- Advising Jumo Kenya on completion of template on the potential VAT and income tax consequences to Experience Hosts offering Experiences via the Airbnb platform in Kenya.
- Project Oil – Advised on the tax implications of the various consolidation methods and steps for consolidation of the client’s business.
- Advised Airbnb on completion of template on the potential VAT and income tax consequences to Experience Hosts offering Experiences via the Airbnb platform in Kenya.
- Advised on the application for ruling from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) on the market price of shares in Transunion LLC, a USA company, considered to be offered to the Kenyan employees as part of the ESPP.
- Providing support to clients in engaging with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and providing litigation support/ court representation to clients in disputes with the KRA.
- Cross border tax advice – advice on Kenyan taxes applicable to cross border transactions, the Kenyan Double Tax Treaty network and structuring, particularly with regards to holding company jurisdictions.
- Ad hoc tax advice – responding to specific tax queries raised by clients on various tax matters such as completion of tax questionnaires and email queries.
- Chambers and Partners ranked Alex as Up and Coming in the Corporate/Commercial category for four consecutive years (2017 to 2020) and noted him in the Spotlight Table for Tax in 2019 and 2020.
- IFLR1000’s Financial and Corporate Guide rated Alex as Highly Regarded for his work in Private Equity and M&A in 2020 and previously, as a Rising Star in the same category for two consecutive years (2018 and 2019).
‘Alex Mathini is well regarded for his experience in corporate transactions, including cross-border M&A and share purchases, as well as private equity transactions. He additionally heads the firm’s tax practice and has a burgeoning reputation in the area. Sources comment that he is “hard-working and knowledgeable about tax,” as well as “very thorough,” and “incredibly responsive and detailed.” – Chambers and Partners 2020
Alex Mathini is growing a strong practice, with sources noting his skill in both M&A and tax. Sources remark that “his knowledge of tax matters is refreshingly impressive,” adding that “he is always hungry for new business, open to suggestions and very co-operative.” He is head of the firm’s tax group. – Chambers and Partners 2019
The up-and-coming Alex Mathini is considered a “very, very good lawyer” by peers. He is head of tax at the firm and his work highlights include representing Fidelity Commercial Bank and its shareholders in the negotiations leading up to its acquisition by State Bank of Mauritius. – Chambers and Partners 2018
RANKING THE BEST SINCE 1990 Alex Mathini is particularly involved in tax and corporate matters. He is praised for his accessibility and responsiveness and for his “clear and good-quality advice.” He also has experience of advising private equity firms on their investments. – Chambers and Partners 2017
Publications & Insights
- Beneficial Ownership frequently asked questions (FAQs) – Private Equity
- Reversal of covid-19 tax measures & new taxes 2021
- Tax Amnesty – The Voluntary Tax Disclosure Programme
- Kenya Sets The Stage For Implementation Of The Digital Services Tax
- Kenya Finance Act, 2020 Analysis
- Covid-19: Impact on Tax Residency and Permanent Establishment Status in Kenya
- Kenya proposes a framework for VAT on Digital Services
- Kenya Budget Speech 2020/21
- Proposed digital services tax in Kenya
- Finance Bill, 2020
- Overview: An analysis of the Tax Laws (Amendment) Act, 2020
- The Court holds that certain sections of the Tax Procedures Act are Constitutional
- Tribunal rules that KRA is responsible for proving VAT fraud
- Overview: An Analysis of the Tax Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020
- KRA starts migrating legacy ledger balances and validating input VAT credits on iTax
- The Finance Act 2019 Assented into Law: A Summary
- The Finance Bill 2019
- Highlights of the Kenya Budget Statement 2019/2020
- Court judgment clarifies imposition of excise duties among EAC member states
- Kenya-Mauritius double Tax Agreement invalidated
- Temporary relief for the Taxman
- The Demise of Compensating Tax
- The taxman suffers another blow
- Value Added Tax Automated System (VAA)
- Value Added Tax Auto Assessment System
- The Finance Act 2018
- Revised Kenya-India double taxation agreement comes into force
- Commercial Law Considerations of Entry into the Kenyan Market and Repatriations