Allan Katangaza is an Associate in the Kampala Office and a member of the Corporate, Commercial, and Dispute Resolution Departments.
Allan is admitted as an Advocate of all Courts of Judicature in Uganda and joined Bowmans in September 2016.
He is mainly involved in commercial litigation and arbitration, as well as any Corporate and Commercial law related matters like transnational corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, and private equity.
Allan holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degree from Uganda Christian University and a Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. He is a member of the Uganda Law Society and East African Law Society.
- A member of the team that successfully defended a Ugandan insurance company in an arbitral claim by a Ugandan company under a Fidelity Guarantee Insurance policy claiming US$ 250,000 as an indemnity payment, US$ 16,589 and UGX 208,853,007/= as resultant loss, general damages, and costs. The claim was rejected.
- Successfully representing shareholders of a Ugandan company in arbitration proceedings seeking US$ 2,137,181/= as special damages and UGX 200,000,000/= as general damages arising out of breach of a business and share purchase agreement. The claim was allowed.
- A member of the team that advised on a merger of two Ugandan Banks through a transfer of the entire business and assets i.e., conducting a due diligence and advising on the transfer of the entire business and assets of CBA Bank Uganda Limited to NC Bank Uganda Limited, and on the acquisition of shares in the latter bank by NIC Group PLC, a company publicly listed in Kenya.
- Advising a global investment management firm on tax implications in Uganda of a transaction involving the acquisition by a Mauritius company of 60% of shares in another Mauritius company which in turn owns two (2) Ugandan companies.
- Rendering tax advice to a private equity fund in Mauritius on the proposed acquisition of the operating assets and business of a Ugandan company by another Ugandan company to be owned 100% by the said private equity fund for US$ 105,000,000.
- Advising Glovoapp23, S.L., a Spanish limited liability tech-company that acts as a holding company of the Glovo Group on licensing and regulatory requirements, publication of products on its mobile or web application (APP), Intellectual Property and Data Protection, Labour laws, contracts, Anti-Money Laundering, Finance-Payments, Tax matters etc.
- Advising a South African company with a Ugandan subsidiary, on insolvency and employment law, relating to restructuring through either: selling its business in Uganda as a going concern or retrenching all employees and winding down its operations.
- Advising a USA company on the regulation of transfer or remission of donor cash funds to entities in Uganda through a digital payments platform.
- Advising a Ugandan Bank on the propriety and viability of advancing a project finance credit facility of Ushs 9.2 Billion to a Ugandan company undergoing a share ownership dispute.
- Advising a foundation in Netherlands and a Mauritius based investment fund, on a co-financing structure involving provision of financing to healthcare SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) in Uganda. Specifically advised on the Loan Agreements and Inter-Creditor Lending Agreement.
- Routinely conducting legal audits and due diligences on several Century Bottling Company Limited and Rwenzori Bottling Company Limited in Uganda to gauge their compliance with legal requirements in respect of their operations at all their factories in Uganda seeking to improve awareness of legal rights, risk and compliance, and reduce legal claims against the said companies.
- Allan regularly represents local and international clients in courts and tribunals in Uganda, majorly in commercial and tax disputes.