- Publications & Insights
Amrisha Raniga is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice.
Amrisha specialises in mergers and acquisitions and general corporate and commercial law.
She has advised South African and multinational companies and industry associations in a variety of sectors, including, the mining, information and communications technology, finance, insurance, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, rail, direct selling, gambling, liquor, tobacco, agriculture and food retail sectors.
Historically, Amrisha has also gained deep expertise over a number of years in technology, media and telecommunications law, healthcare and pharmaceutical law, data privacy law, advertising law, consumer law and general regulatory compliance. These expertise have been additive to her in advising on transactions in respect of target companies operating within these sectors and a true value add to clients emanating from these sectors.
She completed her LLB degree as well as her Masters degree (Corporate law) (cum laude) at the University of the Witwatersrand. She has a certificate in Advanced Company Law II from the University of the Witwatersrand, a certificate in the South African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association’s Foundation Programme in Private Equity from the Gordon Institute of Business Science and is admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
A selection of Amrisha’s Mergers & Acquisitions experience, in particular, includes advising as part of a team:
- Deutsche Post DHL Group in respect of the South African leg of its acquisition of up to 100% of the issued shares in global service provider JF Hillebrand Group AG which specializes in ocean freight forwarding, transport and logistics for an equity value of around EUR 1.5 billion.
- Lanxess Deustchland GmbH in respect of the South African leg of the disposal by its South African subsidiary, Lanxess Proprietary Limited of its Organic Leather Chemical Business to TFL Ledertechnik Gmbh for a purchase consideration of up to EUR 215 million, taking into account post-closing adjustments and performance related earn outs.
- Deutsche Telekom AG in respect of the disposal by its subsidiaries, T-Systems South Africa Proprietary Limited and Intervate Solutions Proprietary Limited, of their respective ITC businesses to Gijima Holdings Proprietary Limited.
- Lanxess GmbH in respect of the disposal by its subsidiary, Lanxess Proprietary Limited, of its majority shareholding in Lanxess Chrome Mining Proprietary Limited.
- Merafe Resources Limited in respect of the acquisition by it of a minority shareholding in a target that specializes in the production, distribution and marketing of all Chromium products.
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) in respect of the South African aspects of its strategic acquisition of shares constituting 10% in the share capital of global storage terminal owner and operator, VTTI B.V.
- The South African leg of the disposal by Lanxess Deustchland GmbH of its Organic Leather Chemical Business which it operates in various jurisdictions, to TFL Ledertechnik Gmbh
- A leading South African award-winning advertising, marketing, and public relations agency and its subsidiaries in respect of an internal restructure to optimize its rating for Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment purposes, including the introduction of a new shareholder in the structure.
- Advent International, in respect of the South African aspects of the global acquisition by it of the Methacrylates business of Evonik for EUR 3 billion.
- GoDaddy Inc. in respect of the South African aspects of its acquisition of Over Inc.
- The Safran group of companies in respect of an internal restructure to optimize the Broad-Based Black Economic Rating of its South African subsidiary.
- A leading global pharmaceutical manufacturer in respect of the spin-off of one of its wholly-owned subsidiaries.
- A leading cement manufacturer in its proposed merger with a direct competitor.
- The South African leg of the disposal by a leading global pharmaceutical manufacturer of its animal health business to a competitor.
- Novartis AG in respect of the South African leg of 3 inter-conditional transactions with GSK plc, being the disposal by Novartis AG of its vaccines business to GSK plc, the acquisition by Novartis AG of the right to commercialise GSK’s portfolio of Oncology products and the incorporation of a joint venture between each of Novartis AG and GSK plc’s over-the-counter/consumer healthcare businesses
- The Hollard Insurance Group in respect of its ZAR 1.8 billion acquisition of the Regent Insurance Group from Imperial Holdings.
- A Black Economic Empowerment Transaction in respect of a leading South African insurance group as the acquirer.
- The South Africa leg of global unbundling by a global leading pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturer of its medical device business.
- The world’s largest vendors of physician prescribing data in respect of its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a competitor.
- A multinational pharmaceutical company in respect of its joint venture with a competing pharmaceutical and biotechnology company.
- A leading South African medical scheme in respect of the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a number of privately held companies.
- A leading steel manufacturer in respect of its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a competitor.