- Publications & Insights
Apolo Katumba is a senior associate in our Kampala office and a member of the Dispute Resolution department.
He specialises in dispute resolution and litigation matters. He has experience in litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has assisted commercial banks, corporations, and individuals, in commercial disputes ranging from debt recoveries, realisation of security, contractual disputes, intellectual property disputes, property and real estate disputes, and claims for restitution.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from Nkumba University. He has a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre, Kampala and a Master of Arts Degree in Revenue Law and Administration from the University of Dar es Salaam.
Apolo is a member of the Uganda Law Society, the East Africa Law Society, and is admitted as an advocate of the High Court of Uganda.
- Acting in a number of actions for Uganda’s leading banks in various matters, ranging from the debt recovery and realization of security under the Uganda’s land and mortgage laws.
- Part of the team that acted successfully for Uganda’s biggest and leading paint company in an action obtaining an order from the Registrar of Trademarks for cancellation and expungement from the Register of Trademarks of an illegally registered trademark.
- Part of the team that is acting for Uganda’s biggest and leading paint company in a cancellation of trademark, an infringement of trademark, and passing off actions in the High Court.
- Part of the team that is acting for a leading bank in defence of an action in the High Court in which it is being sought to invalidate a credit facility/transaction in excess of USD 10,000,000.
- Acting successfully in the defence of a state-owned electricity company in various property and real estate disputes.
- Part of the team that acted successfully in defending a world’s leading law practice in a Suit in the High Court. The subject matter of the action was in USD 100,000,000.
- Part of the team that acted successfully for a client in a Suit in the High Court for breach of a contract for the recovery of USD 505,000.
- Acting successfully for a client in a Suit in the High Court in which the Plaintiff sought the recovery of USD 542,000. The client was successfully defended from liability of the total sum of USD 542,000 when the Suit was dismissed.
- Acting successfully for a client in an Appeal in the Court of Appeal seeking to overturn a decision of the High Court dismissing a suit seeking to set aside a Consent Judgment and Order and a sale of mortgaged property by a bank as mortgagee for the sum of USD 5,400,000/=.